New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nscarborough, Mar 5, 2015.

1. nscarborough

nscarborough New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    Hey y'all! My husband and I are proud new parents of 6 baby chicks! We ended up with an odd array since neither we, nor the man at tractor supply, seemed to know what we were doing when we picked our birds. We have 3 Americaunas, 2 Black sex links, and a CC Broiler. I wanted good egg layers. We're not sure the sex of any of them, but my husband didn't want to wait any longer and research since he has been asking for 2 years. Hopefully, we have 5 hens and a rooster, but we'll see!

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG] Congrats on the new family members.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you have joined us and congrats on your new baby chicks. Hope they are what y'all wanted.

You can post pics on the what breed/gender forum, but many need to get older to guess the gender.

Enjoy the adventure, it is worth it.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new babies!! If you have any questions about them along the way, feel free to ask us here.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hopr you have a great time and learn A LOT!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Well then, if they turn out to be the wrong sex - you can blame for husband for being impatient [​IMG]Tell him he can "process" the ones you don't want or try and find homes for them.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on your new chicks! Most of the breeds that you picked out should be very good layers and quite docile. Sex-Links in particular are great egg layers with very good temperaments. I've really enjoyed my Americana, too, as she's been a good layer of lovely green eggs.[​IMG]

However, the Cornish X broiler may not do so well. Most Cornish X broilers end up dying past 8 weeks or so because of weak legs, fast growth, and weak hearts.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Congratulations on your new chicks! The Ameraucanas (probably Easter Eggers) and Black Sex-links should be great egg layers for you. Like Wyandottes7 mentioned, though, the Cornish Cross is actually a fast-growing meat bird, not a layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by