new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kueblercoop, Mar 23, 2015.

1. kueblercoop

kueblercoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chickens, after begging my husband for 3 years he said yes. This had a lot to do with my 3 year old daughters relentless begging after visiting new chicks at a friends.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Five

(3) What breeds do you have? Three australorps and two red producers. We have a small dog that tried to "play" with one of our chicks. The kids got it out while I was upstairs, this took us from 3 red producers to 2 :(

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Searching for Coop designs

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Crochet, glass etching, sewing, running, biking and open water swimming - I have a hobby issue

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a mother of 3. Eli age 8, Isaac age 5, and Emmie age 3. They love love love the chickens

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your chicks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! Do you plan on adding to your flock next year?

1 person likes this.
  4. kueblercoop

Mar 18, 2015
    I would like to. I was very sad to loose one already. My coop is almost done, the coop itself is 4.5 x 4 feet with two nesting boxes and enough room for 2 roosting bars, not yet installed. My run is 4.5x8. I have an attached area that they can run while I am outside with them, but it is not hawk proof so I don't want them out there without me. The 4.5 x 8 run is enclosed fully. If I have room for 2 more I would like to add next year... but I am nervous about mixing ages :)

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry for your losses. Dog and chickens rarely mix well. Most dogs see all chicks and chickens as dinner unfortunately.

It is best to mix new birds into a flock when everybody is the same size. The younger ones need to have their wits about them and size to defend themselves. And to make a smooth transition, put the new birds in a cage or enclosure within the coop and run for 3 to 4 weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After several weeks you can mix them together. I like to add more food and watering stations for the new birds as the original flock can guard these areas starving out the newbies.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and your babies too!! Welcome to our flock!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chick! [​IMG]Dogs can be quite dangerous to chickens.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the chick :hugs

1 person likes this.
  9. kueblercoop

Mar 18, 2015
    The chickens will always be protected from the dog, which is small and I hope does better with them when they are bigger. It was awful, the kids got the chick out while I was upstairs and the dog tired to "play" with it. So sad, but the kids learned that they absolutely can't get this chicks out unless the dog is locked up. Hard way to learn, but they are so chick protective now.

10. kueblercoop

Mar 18, 2015
    Thank you so much for the advise on mixing. Fortunately the chickens willl always be protected from the dog. We set up the run and "free range" area fenced off away from the dog. He is a small dog so we hope it also improves when they are more his size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by