new to chickens

kueblercoop

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chickens, after begging my husband for 3 years he said yes. This had a lot to do with my 3 year old daughters relentless begging after visiting new chicks at a friends.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Five

(3) What breeds do you have? Three australorps and two red producers. We have a small dog that tried to "play" with one of our chicks. The kids got it out while I was upstairs, this took us from 3 red producers to 2 :(

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Searching for Coop designs

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Crochet, glass etching, sewing, running, biking and open water swimming - I have a hobby issue

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a mother of 3. Eli age 8, Isaac age 5, and Emmie age 3. They love love love the chickens

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! Do you plan on adding to your flock next year?

I would like to. I was very sad to loose one already. My coop is almost done, the coop itself is 4.5 x 4 feet with two nesting boxes and enough room for 2 roosting bars, not yet installed. My run is 4.5x8. I have an attached area that they can run while I am outside with them, but it is not hawk proof so I don't want them out there without me. The 4.5 x 8 run is enclosed fully. If I have room for 2 more I would like to add next year... but I am nervous about mixing ages :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry for your losses. Dog and chickens rarely mix well. Most dogs see all chicks and chickens as dinner unfortunately.

It is best to mix new birds into a flock when everybody is the same size. The younger ones need to have their wits about them and size to defend themselves. And to make a smooth transition, put the new birds in a cage or enclosure within the coop and run for 3 to 4 weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After several weeks you can mix them together. I like to add more food and watering stations for the new birds as the original flock can guard these areas starving out the newbies.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and your babies too!! Welcome to our flock!

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chick!
hugs.gif
Dogs can be quite dangerous to chickens.

The chickens will always be protected from the dog, which is small and I hope does better with them when they are bigger. It was awful, the kids got the chick out while I was upstairs and the dog tired to "play" with it. So sad, but the kids learned that they absolutely can't get this chicks out unless the dog is locked up. Hard way to learn, but they are so chick protective now.

Thank you so much for the advise on mixing. Fortunately the chickens willl always be protected from the dog. We set up the run and "free range" area fenced off away from the dog. He is a small dog so we hope it also improves when they are more his size.

Back
Top Bottom