New to Chickens

yellowchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
C, Arkansas
Great site here, I've been crusing for a few weeks. I am going to have 9 Buff Orp. chicks next week. 1 is a roo. When I build the coop for these, do I need to build a nesting box for all 8 girls or just a few? If I have a fenced run, do I need to build a coop that has to be locked up at night or can I make like a "chicken" door for them?
FYI.....I'm using a corner of a current shed to block off and make the coop in. With the chicken door facing the run.

Thanks for any help.
YC

welcome!

for that many layers, two boxes will be plenty.

a chicken door is known as a pop. yes, that will be a good idea.

for goodness sake, lock them in at night and close all doors. protect your investment.

again
welcome-byc.gif

blessings for a great flock!

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I would build about five nestboxes; I think it makes sense to have nests for about half the birds, although some make do with less. Likely, you'll want to get more chickens eventually (it's quite addicting), so if you don't have a coop yet, plan ahead with the idea of having a few more chickens in mind and you won't be disappointed in the future because of a lack of space. Look around on the BYC Coop Pages for some ideas on how to construct them. There are some very creative and handy ideas on here.

If I have a fenced run, do I need to build a coop that has to be locked up at night or can I make like a "chicken" door for them?

Personally, I would shut the chickens up at night using some sort of pop-hole door into the run. This is extra protection from predators that might break through your wire, tunnel under or climb over your fence. Again, you can find pictures on the BYC Coop Pages.

Again, welcome to BYC!
smile.png

A Pop door sounds perfect for your situation being it is part of a shed.

Also, try to lock them up at night. I had some cheap hooks on my old Aframe coop and someone just opened up the coop to open it. Maybe a neighbors kid... but my chickens were out in the morning thank goodness everyone was there. We built a new coop with key locks!

Just watch your investment... it seems simple, but they get expensive and addicting fast!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom