New to chicks and have questions

Splinty

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
New York
Hi!! I am new to baby chicks and I have been doing a lot of reading on the Internet. We just got our 3 babies in today and they are so cute. We bought 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 1 Buff Orphington and 1 White Plymouth Rock. My husband and I have been trying for days to get the brooder temp to 95 but we can only seem to get it to either just below 95 or just above (91-97). Will that be ok for them? They were born on 9/13. Also I have been worried about them dying. I have read a lot of posts from people saying that their babies were fine and then died a week later. We bought them from Chickens for Backyards and losing any of them would break all our hearts. Has anyone ever had any problems with their chicks bought from Chickens for Backyards? Also I gave them the Gro-Gel that came in the Brooder kit and they are eating the medicated feed that came with it too. We also would like to know when we can start giving them some grass clippings, cherrios, fruits and veggies. Any answers to my questions would be very appreciated. Thank You in advance.

welcome-byc.gif
Your temperatures are fine. I keep my chicks from hatch for their first week between 90 and 95 degrees and reduce the temp by 5 degrees each week afterwards. They do fine.

Here are some good reference books:
"Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens", by Gail Damerow, "Raising Chickens For Dummies", by Kimberley Willis and Rob Ludlow. "The Chicken Health Handbook", by Gail Damerow,
reading.gif
Good luck and have fun!!!

Thank you very much for the quick responses. I forget to ask one other thing. Tonight I noticed that the Barred Rock has runny poo. It was solid all day long. Is that from the Gro-Gel or is there something wrong with her?

I feed mine starter feed/flock raiser, then after a couple of weeks, then start in on some light treats...craisins are a favorite amongst them. I tear them up a bit but they love them. I start mixing my own feed after about 6 weeks. Flock raiser should be good for up to the time they start laying, then I start in on layer pellets and oyster shell.

I'm thinking of ordering 3 little easter egger chicks from chickens for backyards.com, were they any good? Also in my experience which isn't that much I just watched my little girl that had runny poo made sure she was drinking so she didnt get dehydrated just like I do my kids when they are sick and wash your hands after holding them just to be safe. Sorry can't be more helpful Im a newbie myself.

I thought Chickens for Backyards.com had great customer service. I called them 2 times before ordering my girls. They were very helpful in helping me chose the right chicks for my needs. I have a 6 year old daughter and I wanted to make sure I got very friendly chicks. They seemed to know what they were talking about and spent the time answering all my questions. So far the chicks are doing great, eating, drinking, playing and sleeping. I haven't seen any runny poo in their brooder yet today but I will keep a close eye on them.

You are worrying too much. Do searches on this forum for poop pictures. There is a wide, wide, wide range of chicken poop
that is normal, sometimes it is watery, sometimes solid, sometimes tarry black. All normal; and you can drive yourself and
those around you loony worrying about every little thing they do.
Remember, chickens are born knowing everything they need to know about being chickens. It just takes time for them
to know these things, and the amount of time varies by breed and by chicken. There is not much you need to do except
provide warmth for about three weeks, water and food. Give 'em some grit and sand for their little craws and they can start
eating treats, bugs, grass etc. at about two weeks. They know to eat the grit. You cannot train them to do that, so don't try.
In fact you can't train a chicken to do anything. They will do it on their own.
To prevent them turning on each other provide lots of entertainment. Dirt to scratch in, limbs to climb on, places to explore.
When they go outside, give 'em shade, dirt, water and food and they will survive any temperature from 15 degrees to 115
when they get their feathers.
Chickens have about the same mental processes as a goldfish, but are a heck of a lot more entertaining to watch.

big_smile.png

Great
big_smile.png
Thank You so much for all the info. I have a lot of other pets ( 3dogs, 3 cats, 6 birds, fish and 1 rabbit) but never tried my hand at chickens. All our pets live indoors and with the chicks living outside I just want the very best for my girls. We will be building a raised 3 x 3 x 3 chicken coop/tractor attached to a 3ft wide x 7ft long x 6ft high cage for them. We have a large backyard with plenty of grass to keep them happy. We live in N.Y. so my husband is going to insulate the coop part and put vents at the top and on one side. Will this be good for them to live in year round? Thanks again!!
smile.png

Chickens do pretty well in cold temperatures with an insulated coop that has some upper ventilation, especially the hardy breeds you have selected. My chicks favorite snack is still scrambled eggs that are mashed with a potato masher after cooking. That is the only snack that gets them into their run early from free-ranging the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom