New to chicks, but I'm gonna learn!

dancesCchicks

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2018
western Texas
Hi all you educators! I've never had chickens, but I'm good with larger animals. I have a new-to-me house (1/4 acre with large old wooden shed, little greenhouse and good privacy fence) in a neighborhood in a western Texas town, and do not have any animals right now. I do want to have a larger breed dog eventually, but am thinking perhaps to start my flock before getting a puppy, so the pup can learn to be "part of the flock"? What do you all think of that idea? I work weekdays in healthcare, very regular hours. Can't wait to learn from you all!

Hi all you educators! I've never had chickens, but I'm good with larger animals. I have a new-to-me house (1/4 acre with large old wooden shed, little greenhouse and good privacy fence) in a neighborhood in a western Texas town, and do not have any animals right now. I do want to have a larger breed dog eventually, but am thinking perhaps to start my flock before getting a puppy, so the pup can learn to be "part of the flock"? What do you all think of that idea? I work weekdays in healthcare, very regular hours. Can't wait to learn from you all!
Welcome and I say yes, what are you looking for eggs or fun chickens like rare breeds? Just be careful cause I started with a few 8 hens for eggs now have 60 plus and hatch it's very addictive.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Training a puppy takes a LOT of work.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Welcome and I say yes, what are you looking for eggs or fun chickens like rare breeds? Just be careful cause I started with a few 8 hens for eggs now have 60 plus and hatch it's very addictive.
Hi geina! Thank you for the warning! I think I should start with chickens that are friendly egg producers, and learn about how to provide a coop/water/food/safety, etc., and see where that takes me! Where I'm living it gets HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter, at times... :)

Chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat. For heat you need shade, shade, and more shade- manufactured or natural. Sometimes misting hoses, shallow pans of cool water for birds to stand in. Cool feet = cooler bird. Just what kind of HOT as you talking about?

Folks on your state thread could probably offer more advice.

Chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat. For heat you need shade, shade, and more shade- manufactured or natural. Sometimes misting hoses, shallow pans of cool water for birds to stand in. Cool feet = cooler bird. Just what kind of HOT as you talking about?

Folks on your state thread could probably offer more advice.
Thx, drumstick diva. It gets over 100 degrees for days at a time around here in summer. Creating shade won't be difficult, and providing cool water. :)

Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers
1250975-e530f5c70399b5af13bf80ba4bf44a8d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom