1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chicks coming in 3wks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amy1444, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Amy1444

Amy1444 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Jackson,NJ
    Hi everyone I have 25 chicks coming in Feb. I live in New Jersey have the brooder ready. My question is I ordered from mcmurray and I really don't want all 25. My friend will take a few to add to her flock..is it easy to sell or give away any I dont want once they are a few weeks older?

2. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    i found that sometimes it hard to get someone to take the roos.

3. Amy1444

Jan 18, 2010
    Jackson,NJ
    They are all hens except 1 roo my son begged for:) I have plenty of room so I will see how it goes. I guess i could always try craigslist as well. Thanks for the reply!

4. 1/2DozenWings

1/2DozenWings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Butler county
    I ordered 16 from Meyer Hatchery. I wanted more but my----what is it---DH? doesn't like certain aspects of raising chickens, particularly since they are free range. 10 different breeds, because they are so much fun! You're lucky! I'm always grappling with a non-democratically imposed moratorium on new pets and even plants.
    Mine won't arrive until mid-March. I'm using this site to learn how to raise them in the interim. I only have 2 EEs that I got from a feed store, as pullets. That doesn't count a whole lot. Buying 16 was very expensive, so I don't want to lose any.

5. Amy1444

Jan 18, 2010
    Jackson,NJ
    Funny how I just kept adding chicks to my order to get the 25 instead of waiting for mypetchicken or another hatchery that allows smaller amounts. I am soo impulsive when buying things especially plants in the summer. My DH puts up with me so I guess I am lucky. It is freaking me out a bit that they are coming soon and will be in the house...I also have 2 dogs one of which is a 5mth old german shepherd and 2 crazy sons that are 4 and 5. Never dull around here thats for sure![​IMG] Let the chicken adventure begin!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    3 weeks.

It's just like you've fired up the incubator... and you don't have to bite your nails with worry.

Congrats.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not to put a damper on things, but be aware that sexing day olds is only 90% accurate, at best. So there's always a chance of an accidental roo popping up.
    Congrats on them. Be sure and post pics.
    I won't be getting new fuzzy butts until May, but I'm getting a new puppy the first week in February (a shepherd) that will be joining our other german shepherd puppy, so it's not like I'll have alot of time to be impatient.

8. Jazkabor

Jazkabor Out Of The Brooder

I ordered two chicks, because I only wanted two and am now thinking should I order another two more incase one doesn't make it? And I was reading Idiots guide and it said chicks need chick start for the first few weeks then go to another feed and then in a couple more weeks they are on adult layers feed. My two chicks can't eat all that much, how do I buy the feed so it doesn't go to waste?

(What is DH?)

9. Jazkabor

Jazkabor Out Of The Brooder

Hey Amy,

I was going to order myself from Mcmurrys, and was worried about the same thing. I am not allowed to have more than three so luckily for me I found my feed store orders from them and they are happy to put in for my couple with there orders for their other customers. I wanted some special layers so I also looked at classifieds and craigslist to see if anyone was going to be offering and was disappointed not to find any. So I think you may find people that have had the same problem and didn't go for the whole 25. Good luck, God bless.

10. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought 3 chicks off Craigslist from someone who bought 25 but wanted only a few to keep. She sold them a few days after they arrived.

The 90% sexing accuracy is right on. We ordered 25 pullets, two of which turned out to be roos.

Good luck and enjoy your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by