New to chicks-Nervous Mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlbChicks, May 24, 2019.

1. AlbChicks

AlbChicks Hatching

May 24, 2019
    hi everyone,
    We just picked up our chick delivery yesterday, we received 6 buff Orpington chicks- we only ordered 4 . I am following all the guidelines to a T or at least I'm trying. But I am questioning their behavior. They sleep a lot huddled together. They are not directly under the light but off to the side, and next to the water. They wake up fuss for a few minutes drink some water maybe eat a couple of bites than that go right back to sleep. The temp says 100 degrees but they are also on the basement floor so I'm wondering if it's actually colder than that. They are relatively quiet so I don't think they're in distress. Am I just too worried?
    Thanks, everyone.

I've included some photos for reference.

Attached Files:

2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    As long as they are drinking, eating, and occaisionally running around they should be fine. If they are not directly under the heat lamp then they are not cold

3. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    The lamp may be too hot, so the chicks are staying away from it. this means they are cold. turn the heat down to like 90 ish.

rosemarythyme likes this.
  4. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I would say that the lamp is too hot if they are not going near it, I would raise it up so that it's not as hot. When the lamp is too hot, they won't go near it. When the lamp is just right they will all be underneath where the light is, loosely huddled. If it is too cold they will be in a very tight huddle where the light is, pretty much suffocating each other or laying on top of each other. If they are eating, drinking, and pooping then they're good.

You can follow everything to a T and you'll still have bumps in the road because chickens/chicks don't follow everything to a T.

You can try to give them some electrolytes since they are in a new environment and it'll help them to bounce back. Chicks always have an adjustment period when you get them especially if they were shipped.

5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    As is often the case with @chkva, I completely concur! Just raise the lamp a couple of inches until they're snuggled under it! The chick electrolyte mixture is great! Really helped mine get on their feet after the stress of travel. Mine slept pretty much that whole first day, eating and drinking every couple of hours only to pass out again!

ETA- Enjoy those babies! They grow up so quickly! I LOVE Buff orpingtons! My sweetest girl is a buff Orp and she naps in and on my lap all the time. Such a lovey! :love

chrissynemetz and chkva like this.
  6. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I know when I buy chicks from the farm just down the road, they always have an adjustment period where they sleep, eat, poop... Repeat.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Songster

Jun 26, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I would move the waterer out from under the lamp and put it over by the feeder as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: