New to chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kburen, May 28, 2008.

1. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I'm hatching chicks at school and they should be hatching any day now (today was 21 but nothing yet). Anyway...my question is, once they've hatched, if I have a "waterer" do i need to put marbles in the water too? It's one of the chicken waterer things and was given to me to use by the 4H woman helping us out (she provided some eggs, incubators, waterers, and feed). Just want to make sure everything's good for my new babies!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Marbles isn't a bad idea for the first few days. Especially if there are a lot of chicks, they can easily drown in the waterer.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I always put marbles in there. especially at school, you don't want kids to see drowned chicks!

4. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Thanks! I'll find some around here or around school tomorrow! Thanks for the luck! When I left school there wasn't anything going on with my eggs, however, the other Kinder. teacher had 2 that had pipped! Can't wait to go in in the morning!! I just KNOW that all of mine are going to hatch tomorrow.....while we're outside for field day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by