New to Chicks Urgent!!

wolfcj

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
I just had an order of chickens come in and we are on the 2nd day of having them in their broader, and we are still having some of them die. I wanted to know if this is normal or maybe something I am doing wrong. It was very harsh weather when they arrived and I had 5 dead in the box, however now I have lost 5 more.

My broader is located in my basement with no breeze, the basement has its own heat and is set to 70, I originally had two heat lamps on them but noticed that they were trying to avoid the light, so I removed one, which now they seem to be at least standing not huddling underneath it. I have plenty of water and food available, and have witnessed them drinking and eating. I have examined all of their 'butts' to make sure that they are not 'clogged'. I am not sure what else I need to do. Of course you cannot see my broader to tell if everything is fine; but does it sound like I have it all correct? Is this normal to be still loosing chicks and at a rate of 5 in 48hrs?

welcome to byc. do you have a thermometer? they should be 90-95 under the heat light with room to move away if they want. they sell some thing called sav-a-chick. it is something like Gatorade. you can give that or some sugar water to help them over their stress. you can also moisten their feed with it. if you ordered from a hatchery call them, they should help too.

Be sure you contact the hatchery. Most have a 48 hour replacement policy. If you don't contact them right away, you may not be able to have them stand behind their policy. Any more losses? Keep us in the loop! The electrolyte that Granny suggested is a great idea. They also sell packets of probiotics that might be helpful. BTW, I am also a granny... but I don't carry a hatchet!!!

hahaha, way back when my mother was little , there was a lizard that ran up and down their house and they called them granny hatchets. and yes, my mother did give me this handle i googled myself the other day and sure enough its there. i also thought it was because of the way i culled the chickens and i am a granny of more then i can count.
lau.gif

Granny hatchet I did the Sugar water idea ecause it was late and the farm store was closed, most of them loved it, checked with a thermometer the temp and we were still running at 98 at the center of the light but dropping to low 80s getting away from the light, which most of them are staying away from the light so I think they are comfortable, I did raise the light a rung on my ladder straddling the broader and the temp dropped to about 87 so I thought warmer would be better considering they can still get away from the heat. We did loose 5 more last night, I have contacted the Hatchery but have not heard back from them. Any other thoughts?

Granny hatchet I did the Sugar water idea ecause it was late and the farm store was closed, most of them loved it, checked with a thermometer the temp and we were still running at 98 at the center of the light but dropping to low 80s getting away from the light, which most of them are staying away from the light so I think they are comfortable, I did raise the light a rung on my ladder straddling the broader and the temp dropped to about 87 so I thought warmer would be better considering they can still get away from the heat. We did loose 5 more last night, I have contacted the Hatchery but have not heard back from them. Any other thoughts?
What feed are they on? What are you using on your brooder floor. Look up information for coccidosis,while your original chicks probably passed from shipping stress,it is entirely possible that now you may have a cocci overload/outbreak.

no, im sorry, i dont. everything else sounds right. make them reship. how many do you have in what size space? is it possible there not all getting water or the water is too hot? you can wet their food with the sugar water too. did you dip every chicks beak in the water and make sure they were all drinking? theres not much left after that except the stress of shipping.

no, im sorry, i dont. everything else sounds right. make them reship. how many do you have in what size space? is it possible there not all getting water or the water is too hot? you can wet their food with the sugar water too. did you dip every chicks beak in the water and make sure they were all drinking? theres not much left after that except the stress of shipping.
ten chicks is right , what does their poop look like?

Back
Top Bottom