New to chicks!

tbarnes

Hatching
Apr 27, 2016
Hey guys! New to baby chicks and new to this page. But we recently bought some baby chicks, and one of our Rhode Island reds is worrying me. When he's with the rest of the chicks he just stands around with his eyes closed and kind of sways back and forth (tried to find a thread about it, but like I said I'm new to this page and there's a lot on here lol). But whenever we take him out and have him by himself he acts like he's okay, he'll eat and drink but when he's with the others I don't think he's eating/drinking much. I'm not sure if it's normal for them to act like this, but i don't want anything to happen to him. We just brought him inside to make sure he eats and drinks enough but I don't want to keep him away too long because I don't want the other chicks to pick on him when we put him back in. His vent was gunked up but we cleaned it and at first that seemed to brighten him up a little, but he's back to doing the same. Thanks for reading and any and all advice is very much appreciated :)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Please do pop by the link CT left for you. If he's been bunged up he may need a little time to start feeling better again. Keep an eye on the vent so it does not get bunged again. You could try him on some scrambled or hard boiled chopped egg to tempt him to eat again. Also some damp chick food can really help. If he's not been eating due to being bunged he may be weak.

Good luck :fl

Do you ever seen the other birds bullying him or pecking him? That could be why he is reluctant to do much around them. You can also add some apple cider vinegar to his water, to help prevent pasty butt. Also put some Vaseline around his vent to make it easier to clean him.

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post in the er forum. I haven't noticed any of the other chicks picking on him, but since we started brining him out by himself he seems to be doing a little better. We just bring him out a couple hours at a time to be sure he's getting enough food and water! And I've noticed today that he is eating plenty when with the others! Just don't think he's drinking enough. im hoping he was just weak from his vent being gunked up! Thank you all so much! Glad I found somewhere with people offering great advice :)

Back
Top Bottom