New To Chicks!

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Hi All! I've had my 3 hens for about 7mo. now, but I bought them as adults. Today, I went to TSC and bought 6 chicks. I've never, ever had chicks before.

So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the basic instructions on how to raise them so they'll be as healthy as possible. Or maybe suggest some reading materials?

suggested reading

https://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html
smile.png

There are some really good books, I would check out your local library to see what you find.

Go to the "search" function at the top of the page here and type in 'raising', 'chicks' or such and you'll get tons of great threads on raising them. You could read for hours.

Have fun.

First, make sure they are under a heat lamp. Start with the heat at 95 degrees and then lower it by 5 degrees each week until it's about 70 degrees; you can remove it when the air temp is around 70 degrees and/or after they have their feathers.

There's so much ... try some searching and good luck.

Thank you. The brooder I have them in right now is just a plastic storage container. I put those puppy pad in the bottom for now. They have chick starter and chick grit. Clean water too. I have a heat lamp above them. The temp. right now reads 91 degrees. I posted pics of them on the What Breed/Gender section, if you want to look!

Back
Top Bottom