NEW to Chicks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NewChcikenmommy!, Jul 9, 2011.

1. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    This is so much fun! I've been going through these forums for a few days now there are so many things I never new!
    I am looking to build a simple coop for my babies before they get too good at escaping! I have 3 now (10 days old) and will probably get 3 more next week. I have the yard for plenty more but 6 is good as we are only wanting the eggs and they are such good pets. They listen better than my 2yr old!
    Can anyone suggest a coop design that is simple and inexpensive? some of the coops I've seen are quite extravagant and adorable! I'm just not ready to take on a project like that just yet!
    TIA!
    Brittany

Below are our babies, my toddler named them![​IMG]
    This one isBaby smallest of the 3
    [​IMG]
    Baby by Brittany_T, on Flickr

This one is Bird she has black spots and the mother may possibly be the one I saw running around with a solid black tail but white all over
    [​IMG]
    Bird by Brittany_T, on Flickr

This one is Blu I think we were having a "Blue's Clues" moment LOL
    [​IMG]
    Blu by Brittany_T, on Flickr

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Nice pics. You might want to go to the "Coop and Run" section and post there. You might get some responses/ideas there as far as coops are concerned.

3. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Thanks! I will!

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chicks are so cute! Can't help in the coop department as mine was neither simple nor inexpensive but I can definitely attest to how much fun it is to have chickens! [​IMG] Enjoy your new babies!

5. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    [​IMG] cute chicks [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome!

Be sure to take your climate into account when planning. Where I live, all they need is a pen with a rain shelter, not a closed building. If you are way up north and they will be snowed in, they will do much better in a larger coop, probably an 8'x8' walkin for 6.

8. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Thanks!
    I live in SE Georgia, so right now we are having 90+ degree days. Even days like today with all the rain it is still upper 80s. The winters are weird though, some are not so bad but last winter we had several flurries and 20 degree nights.

9. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG] , [​IMG] from SC!

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] You remind me of ME when I first discovered the site .. I read and read and read ...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by