New to Chinese painted quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by marilyn1, Jan 4, 2013.

1. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    I just became a proud owner of the 2 very cute little quail.
    Their names are Penquin & Chickadee.
    I set them up in an aquarium 36 x 18 x 16 tall I put a thin layer of sand on the bottom and covered this with pine chips. I have a couple large flat rocks at one end to put their food dishes behind so they won't kick sand and pine into them. They have a large cave in there also. They love to sand bath and are a joy to watch.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Love the tuxedo look these birds have! Very nice. :)

3. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks, I fell in love with the coloring. They have been really loving their habitat. Scratching and taking dust baths in the sand. They even hopped up on their cave. I know one is a male for sure (crow, growl, whirr noise) The other not sure yet hoping female. They are about 7&8 weeks of age. If two boys raised together with no female in house will they get along? So far they sleep together they preen each other and bath together side by side. They are so funny to watch. If they are both boy I'm fine with that. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just hope they get along...

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    In the second photo the one that is bent over, in front, looks like it could have reddish feathers on the vent area. If this is true then it is a male. Have you checked them for feathers being reddish on the belly and vent? this is a really good indicator to males. I love the colors. I am hoping that this spring when I incubate some more eggs that I get a couple lighter colored ones. Mine adults are cinnamon. Fingers crossed
    Be careful and do not let the waste/poop get bad as in an aquarium the ammonia can get deathly really quickly if not cleaned up daily. I have mine in a wire cage with shelf liner on the floor covered with aspen wood chips. I remove most of the chips weekly and then do a complete change of liner and chips every two weeks. I have several sheets of liner that are cut to fit the cage. Anyway I love the cave as well and enjoy other folks decorating ideas. Look like spoiled little guys.
    ps: 2 males should be fine as long as there are no females around! Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions that may come up.

5. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks for the advice on cleaning. They love that sand underneath. I'll shop vac. to clean. I'll spot clean daily. Thanks, I'll be sure to watch. The lady I got them from had a pretty lt.silver and white one and some white ones. I really fell in love with these 2 even though one of the white we were pretty sure was female. Both have rust feathers on butt under tail. but bellies on both are
    white. The one was really sweet and docile she said and the other male was sweet. She thought it would probably be a good match. They would take meal worms from her fingers. They are not flighty which is good . I have dogs and cats. the noise and movement doesn't seem to bother them. You never know! So far so good. They sleep together and preen each other and sand bath beside each other.... The smaller one that I'm not sure of the sex lowered both wings to the ground and strutted in a little circle. Is that a male or female thing. I'ts not that important to me if they are a pair or not. I hope they continue to get along as they are now. Their in my reptile rm. So they get veg. every day along with their food. My lizards are veggie eaters. The smaller is a week younger. Time will tell.
    I'll be sure and watch the tank. If not thriving there I'll move them back into my sm animal cage. It's about the same size. I can observe them better in the tank. I'll keep a close eye on them. I'm on a staycation this week. Loving it. don't get to spend enough quaility time here.

6. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    they are both boys. as you saw in the picture. I'm learning quite a bit. He just stoop up tall and crowed [​IMG]when I brought my second pair in. They are still sleeping butt to butt. hope they stay bonded like that.
    The new pair is in a separate tank across the room. Possible male female pair. If not I just hope they get along as well as the other two. They seem to be adjusting to each other It's cute to watch. [​IMG]I'm hoping it stays like this..............And not like this[​IMG]
    She seemed to be the bossy girl with the girls in a tank and he was the bossy boy with the boys in a tank when opposite sexes were present. They look really pretty together hope they get along.what ever sex they turn out to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by