Kamphaus-Cooper

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2018
Douglas County, WA
Hi, all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Since moving to a rural area, our family has become very interested in acquiring a few chickens and building a nice, sturdy chicken coop that can withstand negative temps in the winter months. So, yes, we're new to chickens. I'm a reader and believe in the power of finding plenty of knowledge in literature, but there are just some things that you can't find out without asking individuals that are hands on with their pets/farm animals daily. My 10 year old, recently, joined 4-H, and we're all trying to learn what we can about chickens. We have yet to purchase chickens, but Spring is soon upon us. So we're looking in to which variation of chickens would be best for the region that we live in and for what we'd like them for.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have a total of zero chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We do not have a breed, but we would like a breed that is resilient in frigid temps -- think shallow negative temps. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I found this website through the book "The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens" by Schneider & McCrea.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We like to renovate our small but quaint home, DIY projects, gardening, hunting, and photography.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our family recently moved to a rural town with a population of 320 people. Many of our neighbors have farm animals in their yards within city limits, and we admire this. We've always wanted chickens even when we lived in a suburban area, but this was not permitted within city limits. Though we have lived at our current residence for two years, we did not want to jump in to the responsibility of owning chickens without first knowing about how to care for them and creating the best home for them. I'm a homemaker and student, my husband is the grounds/maintenance manager at the local elementary and secondary school, we have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son, and we have two spoiled, well taken care of in-door cats. Above wanting chickens as pets and for fresh eggs, we're very interested in making this a teaching experience for our young children. Our daughter and son need to learn the importance and responsibility that is put in to raising animals that can provide fresh produce if cared for well. I'm a little on the fence about whether we should be teaching our children to raise the chickens as "pets" or teach them to understand that they're a farm animal/livestock that is cared for and used for a means of producing a form of food. If you have any input on the last sentence, please, feel free to suggest how you think we should go about this.

Thanks for reading, and I hope anyone can provide us with information that will benefit us. I'm excited to be a part of this forum.

Hi, all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Since moving to a rural area, our family has become very interested in acquiring a few chickens and building a nice, sturdy chicken coop that can withstand negative temps in the winter months. So, yes, we're new to chickens. I'm a reader and believe in the power of finding plenty of knowledge in literature, but there are just some things that you can't find out without asking individuals that are hands on with their pets/farm animals daily. My 10 year old, recently, joined 4-H, and we're all trying to learn what we can about chickens. We have yet to purchase chickens, but Spring is soon upon us. So we're looking in to which variation of chickens would be best for the region that we live in and for what we'd like them for.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have a total of zero chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We do not have a breed, but we would like a breed that is resilient in frigid temps -- think shallow negative temps. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I found this website through the book "The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens" by Schneider & McCrea.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We like to renovate our small but quaint home, DIY projects, gardening, hunting, and photography.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our family recently moved to a rural town with a population of 320 people. Many of our neighbors have farm animals in their yards within city limits, and we admire this. We've always wanted chickens even when we lived in a suburban area, but this was not permitted within city limits. Though we have lived at our current residence for two years, we did not want to jump in to the responsibility of owning chickens without first knowing about how to care for them and creating the best home for them. I'm a homemaker and student, my husband is the grounds/maintenance manager at the local elementary and secondary school, we have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son, and we have two spoiled, well taken care of in-door cats. Above wanting chickens as pets and for fresh eggs, we're very interested in making this a teaching experience for our young children. Our daughter and son need to learn the importance and responsibility that is put in to raising animals that can provide fresh produce if cared for well. I'm a little on the fence about whether we should be teaching our children to raise the chickens as "pets" or teach them to understand that they're a farm animal/livestock that is cared for and used for a means of producing a form of food. If you have any input on the last sentence, please, feel free to suggest how you think we should go about this.

Thanks for reading, and I hope anyone can provide us with information that will benefit us. I'm excited to be a part of this forum.
:frow :welcome

welcome-by-Farmer-Connie-v3.0.gif

Welcome! Just a thought...Read up on Salmon Faverolles. I think they may interest you, especially considering your winters. Also dual purpose birds and very very pretty. Supposedly very gentle friendly roosters as well. Also faverolle hens will go broody and raise chicks AND are known to lay well in the winter.

ETA (sorry I'm a habitual late adder/ editor :idunnobut I always think of something latter)...anyway: the faverolles do have a big comb which sometimes can be a problem in the frigid cold bc of frostbite. Breeds with smaller combs may be better.

But..... glad to have you and good luck with whatever you choose!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom