New to Coops! Need Help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewChcikenmommy!, Jul 9, 2011.

1. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    I have 3 new chicks and am looking to build a coop ASAP!

I want to place it near my veggie garden on the far end of my yard. So far I have 3 babies but I am tempted to get more. (Breeder lives too close [​IMG] )
    Here is what I have gotten for free and would like to add to it.
    I am going to remove the chain link and replace it with chicken wire, needs a roof and I will be adding live wire to the top and bottom as my neighbor has 7 cats that run in an out all day ad I myself have a large dog I'll need to keep out.

(ignore high grass) our lawn mower broke..LOL
    This is a very large dog pen I got for free and want to convert.
    [​IMG]
    Untitled by Brittany_T, on Flickr

Currently my babies are in an 18x24 wire dog crate in my home. I've lined a piece of PVC pipe with the soft side of industrial Velcro so they can grip it better under the heat lamp.
    [​IMG]
    Untitled by Brittany_T, on Flickr

There are so many fantastic designs on here already! I am looking for something relatively inexpensive to start out with. We are military and could move so I'll need something that can break down and be transported easily if need be.
    TIA!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would leave the chainlink and add hardware fencing to it to prevent coons from grabbing them.Some on the top too,because I found out many animals climb chainlink well including dogs!

Nice idea with the pvc pipe covering. I will try that next time. For three hens you might be able to get away with a dog house converted.Shouldn't be too hard to build something simple.People are making nice coops with free wooden pallets.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I agree with everything Mattemma said. Where are you located now? Some suggestions will be based on your climate. Maybe look into a converted playhouse? If you're in a warmer climate that could be moved pretty easily. There are a lot of great ideas on here.

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I also would keep the chain link and just add hardware cloth to the lower part of the fence to prevent raccoons from reaching through. the chain link will stop large animals (ie dogs). Would recommend some type of top cover as most predators can climb, including dogs.

5. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    Quote:Agreed. Also add shade cloth over the top. You can get a small roll of coolaroo shade cloth from home depot for about 20 bucks.

6. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Thank for the suggestions! We live in SE Georgia..so really hot here now which is why my lovelies like to sit perched in the window. that morning sun is so toasty!

7. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I would leave the chainlink and add hardware fencing to it to prevent coons from grabbing them.Some on the top too,because I found out many animals climb chainlink well including dogs!

I agree completely with this statement... Chicken wire not ao good with coons and dogs.

8. Hunterlauren93

Hunterlauren93 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Forest
    I use a dog kennel for my girls! I planted plants ( left over veggies that i didnt have room to plant in my garden and a black berry bush.. which my girls love, when i let them out they run straight to the bushes) My old coop was made of chicken wire, and it "bubbles" no matter how tight you pull it. I didnt like it at all!! They always found a way to escape. They cant escape the kennel. BTW i love the PVC pipe idea. I was looking for a large stick/limb i can use, but i think ill be going to home depot to get me a large piece of pvc!! We have 4 cats. At first they would try to be sly to get near my chickens. They soon learned not to mess with the chickens when the girls chased them. Now one doesn't mind the chickens, the other three run away from them. I have a large dog(boxer) and he doesnt do anything to the chickens. When they were younger they would fly up on her back and stay there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by