New to Duck breeding.Help Please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    This is my first breeding pair.
    I have a male Mallard and a Female Buff duck.

They are around 5-6 months old and have started mating when I put new water in their pools.
    Im not sure how exactly to make a sort of nesting box.
    Currently I have 2 different dog igloos out there. One is an igloo with a sort of tunnel like entrance for make weather protection and for keeping cool in summer and warm in winter.
    The other is called a "barn house".It is quite large though.
    I also have 2 different rabbit hutches, one is 2 x 3 foot, the other is a perfect little chicken coop. The ducks like to lay under those, but the only protection comes from above.

Last but not least is my newest invention. I have 2 pieces of plywood boards connected on one side by a hinge, so that it is able to bend inward and collapse. I took it and placed it in an "a frame" type position and put bricks around it so it doesnt slip( my goats have bounced on it so i know it wont collapse) . I places the red towel they came with on top, to cover any opening on top that may provide leakiness on top. Next I placed the bottom of a medium sized pet carrier inside full of grass clipping for a nest. It is placed against the fence in back(which is covered in lattice board) so that there is one opening for her to guard.

Any more suggestions on a nesting box that she may feel safe in? Im not sure when she will lay or even if she will, but I want to be prepared because this is her as well as my first laying.

Also, any suggestions on duck breeding or things to watch out for? She is a little more than half the size of the male, but not by much, she is kind of petite.

Any and all advice is greatly appriciated. Id prefer suggestions that are not too pricey.Please and thank you!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    What? No one on to help? well hopefully I will get some posts SOON.

I want to know as much as I can so that as little as possible will go wrong!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are aweful young. I doubt at this time of the year you could get her to set eggs. Her first eggs won't be worth trying to incubate. Small duck eggs usually won't hatch - or so I have been told.

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks, Im just taking all precautions I can [​IMG], I want to prevent making a fool of myself if that is possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by