New to duck incubation, and I need a little help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tazcat70, Apr 19, 2011.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Hello,

This is the first time that I have incubated duck eggs. I have some that are due to hatch on Saturday and those look great! I am a little concerned with what the humidity should be for the last 3 days. The ones that I am most concerned about are some eggs that are on day 12 (today.) Last night I candled and several look like twins. [​IMG] Is this normal that the swimmers look like 2 babies? Basically I am seeing 2 dark spots that look like the eyes and then the lighter area that is tissue. And I am seeing 2 of these.

Thanks!!

2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Are the "twin" eggs larger than the other eggs in the batch? My experience is in chickens, but
    they could be double yolkers. And hatching twins is possible, but complicates the process.

My first duck hatch is also due on Saturday. They are Grey Calls & Aussie Spotted Ducks.

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    YAY Mine is due on Sat as well. I have 5 pekin eggs

You might just be seeing different parts of the chick when you candle. But I would really keep an eye on them if you are suspicious of them being "twins" Check out youtube for the lady who hatched a double yolker. One lived and one died so its a very risky business trying to hatch those.

Good luck on everyones hatches this weekend. Maybe we should have our own Easter ducky hatch thread [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I raise my humidity to 70-75% for the last 3 days for my BEI's. That is what works best for me but you can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. The way I look at a duck that gets wet from swimming and then goes and sits on the eggs for three days, is going to have a higher humidity than a chicken would. Good luck to you. Always take good notes. So the next time you will know what worked and what didn't work for you. [​IMG]

5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I can't wait!

Speaking of youtube, I looked for duck candling... and this is pretty much what I am seeing.

6. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Just normal movement [​IMG]

I can't see into mine anymore. I just look through the air cell and see slight movement against the membrane.

7. Diamond Wire Farms

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Two pips!!!!!!! But now I'm at work.
    I'd hate to miss it, but hopefully I'll come home to some serious progress.

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    It takes quite a while. Youll have plenty of time.

9. Diamond Wire Farms

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    destinducks- thanks for the vote of confidence. These are my first ducks, but on all my other hatches:
    Weekend/Home all day = SLOW hatch
    Working/Out of house = Pip, Zip, & Hatch in no time.
    Even my geese were this way!

10. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    its like watching a pot of water boil. Only does it when your not looking [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by