New to ducklings...tips appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LittleRedCoop, Apr 20, 2011.

1. LittleRedCoop

LittleRedCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    My sister and I just got 3 Mallard ducklings from TSC on Friday, and so far the experience has been amazing. They are so adorable! [​IMG] However since I have never raised poultry before, I am not sure about a few things. What kind of treats can they have? They are a little over a week old today. Also, at what age can they have a little tub to swim in? We have noticed them playing in their water a lot, but they can't fit in the drinker to swim [​IMG] . The Mallards are also rather skittish and all huddle in a corner when our hand goes in the brooder, and I understand this is probably very intimidating to a tiny duckling, but is there a better way to tame them other than picking them up and holding them? All tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. duckymommyyy

duckymommyyy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    There is a whole list of treats and supplements on the forum posted by nettie. She is really experienced with ducks and has composed a whole list of the treats that they love to eat
    and favor and what baby ducklings can eat also. Ducklings don't have the water resisitant feathers to swim yet so they can drown, but a little water wouldn't hurt them to play in but not to where they can't reach the bottom of the dish or wherever they are playing. To get them used to you, hold each one a couple times a day and spend as much time with them whenever you are free. Treats help them associate that you are a friend and the easier way to bond with them [​IMG] Hope you have fun with your new babies!! I'm sure they are adorable!!

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Peas not only are they great treats (mashed at this age) but they are a great source of Niacin which duckies need.

4. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Sometimes ducklings act scared out of instinct and it doesn't mean they don't trust you. I usually have gotten that too, but on the other hand they would follow me around and wait at the front door and such. They might run when you try to pick them up, but when you hold them, they might enjoy that head rub, and might get to where they come up to you for it, though it's possible still protest being held or not.

5. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
  6. LittleRedCoop

LittleRedCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Thank you so much everybody! Everyone has been pitching in and we hold them several times a day, they still squirm occassionaly but they calm down after a while and seem to enjoy the attention. And I will definitely check out the list of treats, thanks!! [​IMG] Everyone loves the ducklings and chicks, they are a pleasure and the cutest little things!

7. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Try to scoop them up in your hands rather than pick them up from above. Its the whole predator and prey thing. It worked like a charm on my chicks. Once I started scooping them up they didn't freak and try to get away. Now they hop in my hand [​IMG]

8. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    LOL, Thats exactly what my ducklings did...coming in from above always freaks em' out but a hand at their level instantly becomes something to peck and climb on [​IMG] Talking always seems to bring my little ones out to(not sure why [​IMG] ) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by