New to Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johnsonfarm, Jun 3, 2019.

1. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Totally feeling unprepared!

Six new ducklings, 2 days old, I knew they'd be messy but they've completely soaked this box in less than a half hour. Its temporary, getting a large plastic tote and some shelf liner tomorrow... but are they going to be ok or am I going to have to change this out every hour to keep them dry?

Picture attached.

Attached Files:

Norcal527, Trimurtisan and Jpat like this.
  2. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    just keep a dry towel under the heatplate, Not every hour but if its dripping wet the change it

Damp is fine, aslong as they themselves arent wet. Wet ducklings get cold quick

have you had chicks or ducklings before at all?

quackiemama and Trimurtisan like this.
  3. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    They are adorable by the way

quackiemama, Texag87 and Trimurtisan like this.
  4. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    No, never had chicks or ducklings inside before. We have full grown ones that have hatched and cared for their own, but this is all new to me!

quackiemama and Trimurtisan like this.
  5. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Well you are in the right place. You don't want them to get chilled . Towels or puppy pe e pads are good first week, then I go to pine shavings. Ducklings are messy messy. Try to switch them to a water container that is like an old butter container with triangles cut out so they can dip their heads in. Someone more savy than me can probably attach a picture for you. please ask any questions you have, that's what we are here for.

6. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    How do you know when they're comfortably resting, vs. cold?
    When they huddle quietly under/near the heater, is that just normal sleeping? Will they peep louder if they're cold?

7. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    6E48EA1A-E4CD-4AC2-9E52-93DC3A7184D1.jpeg At that age, it’s usually an hour or two of huddling followed by intense activity for about 20 minutes and then nap time again. We have a waterer like yours and they waste too much. The last batch of 5 could empty it in 15 minutes, most of which went on the towels. Cut out holes in the top of sour cream, butter, cottage cheese, even leftover containers. Make the hole just big enough to stick their heads in . This is the best example I have.

8. GiggleOinkQuack

GiggleOinkQuack Chirping

May 24, 2017
    Ducklings are a delightful, super messy, blast! We learned quick when we first started ordering ducklings(we order in pairs from Metzer Farms in spring) to brood them aka smother with love inside:hugs:love:clap:celebrate before they’re fully feathered and ready to be outdoors! Messy, adorable, noisy lil fluffs they are! I use a giant rubbermaid tote that has the middle of the lib cut out and covered with hardware cloth, for their water I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased all the items I list below:
    A few foil lasagna pans that I placed one of the metal grill sheets(like a small cookie sheet with holes) on top to catch the spilled water, use a sour cream bowl as described on this board by another member for water, place that inside a metal pie pan(this was best new addition to my brooder supplies as it afforded me a lot more time between emptying out all the spilled water and food from the lasagna “catch” pan) then use another sour cream container and cut out same type holes and fill with their food. The XL puppy pads from dollar tree or generic ones from Target or Walmart are perfect for lining the bottom of the tote too! I will often just lay several layers of paper towels down on top of the pads during the day to keep them from trekking their mess everywhere and this is such an easy clean up! Our first time brooding we were using horse stall pellets, soo much MESS and not as convenient as just tossing the pads/paper towels in trash! The heat lamp safely sits on hardware cloth part of the lid, the ducklings get some soft cotton tshirt rags to snuggle on too. I keep food pan on one end of the tote and I empty out the catch pan/refill the water and food as needed. Usually i can get away with only doing this once daily but aim for twice! Keep the pictures coming!!!

quackiemama, Parront and DuckyDonna like this.
  9. Jesjesmarie

Jesjesmarie Chirping

May 30, 2019
    Dover, AR
    I put my water on top of a grate in a paint tray, it helps keep the brooder drier.

Attached Files:

10. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I can't think of anything cuter than baby ducks!

:love

If I had any, I would just want to sit and watch them all day long. :pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: