New To Ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jkelch1, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jkelch1

jkelch1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    I just got my first set of three ducklings on Sunday from a local store. I would say they're about a week old, give or take a day or so. Two of them are acting perfectly fine, but I have one that is wheezing a lot and it looks like she has trouble breathing. I have checked other threads and based on the info, I think I am doing things right - they have adequate water and heat (they're inside the house with us). She was wheezing at the store a little that's what made her catch my eye. It may have been a mistake to get one that didn't look 100%, but I couldn't leave her there and unfortunately nobody was working in the farm department so nobody knew what to do. I'm am thinking she may need to go to a vet, but I've also read that they can't really do much and that ducklings are not supposed to get antibiotics as it can cause more harm than good.

Any suggestions??

Also, none of them seem to want to eat very much. I've got them on regular chick starter right now but I have my husband on his way to go get some flock raiser. I was told they should be pigging out at this point. Has anyone else had problems with ducklings not wanting to eat??

Any help as soon as possible would be terrific. I've successfully raised a flock of 16 chickens for almost a year now, but these little duckies are giving me a run for my money.

Thanks!!

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Hello, I am about 8 weeks ahead of you with my first batch of Ducklings. They didn't eat very much for the first week (Trust me it will pick up). Keep them supplied with water and it will be messy! Ducklings are very susceptible to cold weather, so if they got cold at one point it may not recover, but it might :). What ever you feed them, make sure it's a crumble feed, and that it is NOT medicated. Ducklings are very tricky, but you sound like you're doing a great job! Good luck and you can private message me with any tips that I learned the hard way.

3. jkelch1

Aug 27, 2013
    Thank you so much for the reassurance! I'm so worried about the little one; I'm ready to fake sick from work and go home just to take care of her. I've been doing a little research, and it seems like its hit or miss. I'll just do like you said and keep doing what I'm doing. I may change her bedding from shavings (even though they're the low dust ones) to something else.

I've got my fingers crossed for this little one!

I sure hope they pick up on the eating, it would be one less thing to worry about haha!

4. Coles FreshEggs

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    You can try substituting sand, I tried that and there is definitely less dust, but it has to be changed more often.

5. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Coles, you used sand in the brooder for ducklings? I'm picking up my ducklings tomorrow and have their brooder set up with sand. I have my chicks on sand as litter and it is working out so far. I just keep reading conflicting info on sand with ducklings and would feel better knowing that yours are healthy and not having any health problems from the sand as litter. Thanks!

6. jkelch1

Aug 27, 2013
    I didn't even think about that! Thank you so much!! Hopefully we can do right by these babies. How are yours doing? I bet at 8 weeks they're full of energy and spitfire! :)

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Coles FreshEggs

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Mine are not having any problems with sand. Some people say somethings dont work just because they didn't do it right!

1 person likes this.
  9. jkelch1

Aug 27, 2013
    It seems like as with everything it's trial and error. I just prefer to not make errors that make things worse. Only two more hours until I can get home to them!

1 person likes this.
  10. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Make sure you post an update when you get home;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by