New to Ducks – Day 24 Help with Decision about Humidity in Lockdown

DuckityLove77

Chirping
Apr 23, 2018
Wheaton, IL
Hi!

My 11-year-old daughter and I are new and posting together here as we try for the first time to hatch Rouen ducklings! We are using a Genesis Hova-Bator styrofoam incubator with a fan. We have spent hours over the past weeks reading in the learning center, printing articles, reading forums and want to THANK YOU for sharing information that we have already applied – especially @WVduckchick, @Ravynscroft, @pete55, @Sally Sunshine, @Miss Lydia, @casportpony and so many others I can’t list them all.

We bought Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks, and followed the initial recommendation of 99.5 degrees Farenheit and 55% relative humidity. A local duck farmer provided us with 28 Rouen duck eggs, 23 were fertile, and we lost 1 egg in the first week. As of Day 24, in candling we saw good blood vessels and movement in all 22 remaining eggs. 4 of the eggs showed attempts at internal pips while we candled – which was so exciting!

What we discovered over the last week through candling was that the air sac was not large enough, so we removed all water from the trough, but misted once a day. There was definite progression in the size of the air sacs, but now at Day 24 most eggs have air sacs measuring about a Day 21 size of development. I’m including a photo, but am not sure how well it shows the pencil markings of the air sacs.

What is your recommendation for humidity during lockdown? My understanding is that the humidity affects how rubbery or easily penetrable the air sac is for the internal pip and that is of utmost importance for duckling success. However, I also read that high humidity is a must for the last days during lockdown.

I would love for an experienced eye to look at these eggs and provide a recommendation.

Thank you in advance!
Day 24 Incubator.JPG
Day 24 - Ducky 21 Candling.png

I'm hardly a duck hatch expert ( my muscovy girls usually do it themselves) but I rescued some eggs that a hen was sitting on till her sister hatched her own clutch and wouldn't let her get back to the eggs. I threw them into a 'bator and this morning one hatched with 11 days left on the count down. So I don't know if it is late early or ???? since I assume the hen sat on them for 10 days but dont know. The incubator is usually 45-55 % humidity when I am incubating. I raise it to 65-70 for hatching but since I didn't know when this group was going to hatch, It was at 45% last night when I went to bed. It is at 52% right now and I just added a sponge to raise it a bit more. I have never been overly concerned about the air pocket and my guinea hatch rate is 90% and chickens 100% so far.

Hi!

My 11-year-old daughter and I are new and posting together here as we try for the first time to hatch Rouen ducklings! We are using a Genesis Hova-Bator styrofoam incubator with a fan. We have spent hours over the past weeks reading in the learning center, printing articles, reading forums and want to THANK YOU for sharing information that we have already applied – especially @WVduckchick, @Ravynscroft, @pete55, @Sally Sunshine, @Miss Lydia, @casportpony and so many others I can’t list them all.

We bought Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks, and followed the initial recommendation of 99.5 degrees Farenheit and 55% relative humidity. A local duck farmer provided us with 28 Rouen duck eggs, 23 were fertile, and we lost 1 egg in the first week. As of Day 24, in candling we saw good blood vessels and movement in all 22 remaining eggs. 4 of the eggs showed attempts at internal pips while we candled – which was so exciting!

What we discovered over the last week through candling was that the air sac was not large enough, so we removed all water from the trough, but misted once a day. There was definite progression in the size of the air sacs, but now at Day 24 most eggs have air sacs measuring about a Day 21 size of development. I’m including a photo, but am not sure how well it shows the pencil markings of the air sacs.

What is your recommendation for humidity during lockdown? My understanding is that the humidity affects how rubbery or easily penetrable the air sac is for the internal pip and that is of utmost importance for duckling success. However, I also read that high humidity is a must for the last days during lockdown.

I would love for an experienced eye to look at these eggs and provide a recommendation.

Thank you in advance!View attachment 1353587 View attachment 1353588

I'm hardly a duck hatch expert ( my muscovy girls usually do it themselves) but I rescued some eggs that a hen was sitting on till her sister hatched her own clutch and wouldn't let her get back to the eggs. I threw them into a 'bator and this morning one hatched with 11 days left on the count down. So I don't know if it is late early or ???? since I assume the hen sat on them for 10 days but dont know. The incubator is usually 45-55 % humidity when I am incubating. I raise it to 65-70 for hatching but since I didn't know when this group was going to hatch, It was at 45% last night when I went to bed. It is at 52% right now and I just added a sponge to raise it a bit more. I have never been overly concerned about the air pocket and my guinea hatch rate is 90% and chickens 100% so far.
Thank you for the reply! I wish you the best with the rest of the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom