New to ducks, 4 pekin 2 weeks old

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ben_2288, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Ben_2288

Ben_2288 Chirping

Jul 10, 2018
    I started with chickens this past February, did some chicken math on the flie ended up with four pekin. I'll take any and all advise regarding care and expectations and anything else you guys feel is crucial knowledge to best keep this little guys 20180815_143953.jpg 20180819_114937.jpg 20180819_115002.jpg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Okay welcome to chicken and duck math lol. First thing I see is some adorable chicks and ducks but they are in too small a brooder and if me I’d have one brooder for chicks one for ducklings because I am sure by now you’ve noticed duckling aren’t the cleanest when eating and pooping and chicks need dry bedding . Water is always a problem when we have duckling they like to splash all over we like to keep it inside the watered. So get a used plastic bowl like cool whip comes in or something plastic you might have in your cupboard that has a lid make two holes on each side of the lid just large enough for the ducklings to stick their heads in but can’t climb in or too small and get stuck this will be your watered for your ducklings because ducks have to be able to wash out their nares and eyes all the time. You can put a tray or broiler pan underneath to catch any water. Maybe a block shaped stone or rock that they can get on to get out unless they are using the round rock okay. They will need some form of niacin in their diet unless you feeding something that has the necessary amounts already like a duckling starter or An all flock feed?

3. Ben_2288

Ben_2288 Chirping

Jul 10, 2018
    Thankyou, I separated them today the pictured cage is there day time are and a broder ay night. Yes the ducks make a horrid mess out of the shavings food and water the chicks where soaked that's when I decided to separate them. I'll check the feed for niacin, I'm feeding starter

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Chick starter doesn’t have enough for water fowl babies so to ward off any leg problems from niacin deficiency get some nutritional yeast and start putting it on their feed 1Tab per cup of feed till 8-10 weeks old. Health food stores and on line sell nutritional yeast since you will be feeding 4 little piggies with feathers you’d be better off buying bulk than the small size of nutritional yeast the grocery store sells Braggs NY it’s good stuff but you’d run out pretty quick. Yep those cute little things sure are slobs aren’t they lol

Ben_2288 likes this.
  5. Ben_2288

Ben_2288 Chirping

Jul 10, 2018
    So upset! Dogs got all four broke my heart. Poor little ducks

6. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma Broken crayons still color

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Oh no! Were they your dogs or someone else's?

7. emmec19

emmec19 In the Brooder

May 24, 2018
    Oh no! That would be so devastating to see. I'm so sorry

8. Miss Lydia

Oh my gosh poor little ones. :hugs

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I will share with you a few links I find invaluable. When I have a question I like to check these places first.

The Ducks' Sticky Topics
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

And the Ducks' section of The Learning Center.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/ducks.30/

I also am fond of the book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. It's formatted in a way that makes it easy to look up information and find answers to specific questions without reading the whole thing at once.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Yes Storey's Guide to raising ducks is a great book for anyone to have. I love mine. Dave Holderread is so knowledgeable about Ducks and Geese I have the geese book too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: