New to ducks, advice on breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Jan 7, 2013.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    We already have a large flock of chickens, and we'd like to start raising ducks as well. We live on a river, and have a large shallow natural pool that's fed and filtered by the river. I'm planning to house the ducks separately from my chickens. I'd like to have 3 or 4 ducks. So my question is...which breed? I'd like to hatch the eggs. Are some breeds easier to hatch than others? Which breeds are quieter? Could it be a problem that we have wild ducks that come through seasonally?

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    How big do you want them to be?

Do you want them to be able to fly?

How bad are predators in your area, do you need camo coloring that blends in?

My favorite is still Saxony, big, can't fly, pretty coloring, social, great layers. Loud when they wanted something from me.

3. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Any size is fine. I'd like them to be able to fly preferably, but they don't have to. We do have predators, but I'm planning to put an automatic door on the duck house, so they'll be locked up at night, and free during the day, like my chickens. I hadn't really thought about camo coloring, but that makes sense. I have a major slug problem in my garden every year. Do all duck breeds eat slugs? The ducks also need to be good with kids.

Saxony are pretty! My neighbors have free ranging Pekins, and haven't had any problems with predators. I'm not sure how they've survived so well all this time honestly. My chicken coop has to be enforced like Fort Knox to keep the raccoons out.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    So many factors to consider. Are they for egg laying for eating or hatching? Will you eat the ducks? Here is a link to a reputable duck hatchery. Under the Ducks tab look at the breed comparison chart - it might help you with your decision. Good luck to you!

http://www.metzerfarms.com/

5. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Thanks for the link! I'm looking over the chart. When they describe a breed as "nervous", does that mean they're less responsive to people? I see there aren't many breeds that fly. Does being able to fly give domestic ducks a significant advantage when it comes to predators? So many duck breed...so many factors.

We'll eat the eggs, but not the ducks. They don't need to be heavy layers though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by