New to Ducks--Advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dutchgirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Hi, I got two tiny one-day-old mallard ducks today!

We're keeping them under a heat lamp in a small cardboard box, with wood chips on the floor. Is it all right to have those in there? Cause one was eating the chips (we think) and we want it to stop.

Anything else? Temperatures? Swimming? We'd really like to know about swimming, since we don't when to start. On one website someone said she didn't put a pool in the box till day 8. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    my ducks ended up eating the cardboard box. i'd recommend something made of heavy plastic with hay as bedding. i use woodchips for my ducks outside, they love all the bugs they can find under them!! you will only want to let them swim supervised for a little while. they could get tired and drown, and get real cold. if you let them swim, make sure to dry them off since they don't have feathers. make sure they have water deep enough to dunk their heads in so they can clear their nose holes and eyes. you may have to add water to their food for the first couple days. good luck!!

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, congrats on the new babies.. I use paper towel for a week or so. I have had a duckling choke on a piece of pine shavings. We were able to get it out, but it went right back to trying to eat it. Not very bright! But as far as swimming, I waited a week before allowing them to swim. They can get chilled easily. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by