New to ducks: Agressive khaki drake towards female mallard

kayjay081812

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2018
Hello, I'm new to owning ducks. This past May I rescued a wild mallard duckling. The poor thing was lonely, so I ended up getting two khaki campbells to keep her company. I was hoping for rouen ducks, but khakis was the only ducks available when I went. They are fully grown now. I have two females and one male. Things have been great with them getting along until the past few weeks. I notice the drake khaki has started trying to mate with the hen khaki and then chasing the hen mallard away. It's to the point he won't let the mallard in the pond with him and the other hen or sometimes in their duck box with them. He's almost constantly chasing her away or pecking at her. The ducks will be free ranging and if the mallard comes within a certain distance, the drake is after her. I've also observed the hen mallard laying herself out flat on the ground for the drake to mate with her. She also starts chuckling when she is near the drake and sometimes does a side head bob with the chuckling. As soon as her behavior starts with that, the drake always goes after her. Prior to all this the mallard ran the show with the pecking order. Now it seems to be the drake? Is this a brief situation with hormones stirred up? Or is this a pecking order situation? There something I should try to address this? If so... how?

Are you sure, the mallard is not a drake? If you could post some pictures of your ducks that would help. If you're sure you have no second drake, you can try the following: Directly after the Khaki drape has misbehaved, grab him and let your hand rest heavy on his back, he will try to get away, don't let him! Keep him penned down for 15-20 seconds, then let him go. You have just showed him that you are the stronger drake. That usually dampens the ambitious feelings of a drake somewhat. I have to do this with my dominant drake, Donald, from time to time, otherwise he will bite my other drake, Limpy (who is a special need duck), in his neck.
As said, let us have a look at your ducks.

Thank you for the advice and welcome. I've referred to BYC in the past when I had chickens, but figured it was a good time to join with being new to owning ducks. And here's my three...View attachment 1608446
Does the mallard has some blue feathers on the side?
Anas_Rubripes_and_Anas_Platyrhynchos_August_2008.JPG

(Picture from wikipedia) The bird at the right is a mallard male in eclipse plumage, it does not really look like a male without the green head, does it? But it is one…

(Picture from wikipedia) The bird at the right is a mallard male in eclipse plumage, it does not really look like a male without the green head, does it? But it is one…

This is interesting! Never heard of eclipse plumage before? But yes the mallard does have the blue feathers on it's wings. I always thought only females could have the dull coloration with the blue feathers because the males always had the green heads as standard. I will say the mallard does sound more like a hen though. The mallard is no where as raspy as the khaki drake and is very loud and mouthy like the khaki hen. So with the coloration and sounds by the mallard I always thought it was a hen? But now in questioning that? Lol

maybe think about adding a few more females for your drake. That may take the pressure away from your Mallard. When she flattens herself out for him does he mate with her?

I've been thinking about getting more ducks, but I was hoping to wait until spring time so introduction could go a little smoother. When the mallard does that the drake simply ignores her and that's when she starts to be mouthy until he chases her

Back
Top Bottom