New to ducks and Harlequin left her eggs after sitting already 7 days UGH!

IrelandEyes

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Oklahoma
So my Harlequin will be one in August. She went broody last weekend with ten eggs. Barely leaves them until today. Trotted off with my other 5 ducks and has been gone for hours. I went to nest and eggs surprisingly still warm. I warmed up incubator while I candled them and found all ten eggs viable.

Question:
In the incubator I know for chickens you put pointed side egg up but these duck eggs have been in nest on side and when candling them I could see a blob (pardon my scientific description-so new to duckies) laying attached to side. I also saw veins crisscrossing egg!!! :) By placing them in incubator do I put the eggs on the side versus pointed side up?

Never hatched duck eggs. Only have hatched once in my life the best 5 Silkie eggs and 1 bantam cochin. Got them from LaCrystol here on BYC and love my birdies.!!!!!!!!!

I want to avoid newbie mistakes. Any other pointers would be sooooo appreciated!! I remember reading duck eggs tough for birds to crack through and ducks harder to hatch.

Ugh!!!!! Oh why did my harlequin, Wilimenia, decide to abandon her eggs!!!???!!

Thank you so much for any guidance!!!!!!!!

So my Harlequin will be one in August. She went broody last weekend with ten eggs. Barely leaves them until today. Trotted off with my other 5 ducks and has been gone for hours. I went to nest and eggs surprisingly still warm. I warmed up incubator while I candled them and found all ten eggs viable.

Question:
In the incubator I know for chickens you put pointed side egg up but these duck eggs have been in nest on side and when candling them I could see a blob (pardon my scientific description-so new to duckies) laying attached to side. I also saw veins crisscrossing egg!!! :) By placing them in incubator do I put the eggs on the side versus pointed side up?

Never hatched duck eggs. Only have hatched once in my life the best 5 Silkie eggs and 1 bantam cochin. Got them from LaCrystol here on BYC and love my birdies.!!!!!!!!!

I want to avoid newbie mistakes. Any other pointers would be sooooo appreciated!! I remember reading duck eggs tough for birds to crack through and ducks harder to hatch.

Ugh!!!!! Oh why did my harlequin, Wilimenia, decide to abandon her eggs!!!???!!

Thank you so much for any guidance!!!!!!!!
She has not abandon her eggs. It's quite normal for them to get up, go eat, stretch, swim and then come back to continue the business. She's trying to regulate the temperature of the eggs as she may return a bit wet to get the humidity right. If you haven't already placed them in the incubator, I suggest you leave the eggs alone and let her continue sitting.

Huge thanks!! Going to thread now!! Thanks again for letting me know there is a broody duck thread!!!!
smile.png
It's a big family here,
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom