new to ducks and hopefully getting some around the 24th of this month

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nikki1496, Feb 14, 2015.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    the title basically says it all. ive had chickens for two almost three years but now i may be getting 2 ducks of TSC (idk what type though) any tips or advice?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    lol thanks. how noisy are ducks as adults?

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My females are quite loud. Well... my 2 runners scream at me if they hear the sliding door click or if they hear my voice. They LOVE their treats. Now all of them do it at different times for different reasons. My males were and are quiet. They can quack up a storm but it doesn't get nearly as loud. In fact my next door neighbors had no clue I had ducks (2 males) for 5 months till he was hanging Christmas lights and saw them. I live in the suburbs so they are close. I am making sure to give them eggs as a peace offering as soon as the girls start laying. They aren't always loud and it isn't non stop or anything like that. Just when they want treats or their dinner they let me know.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That depends on a bunch of things. My neighbors tell me that my Runners and Buffs are fairly quiet most of the time. When they hear me, they call out to me if I have not checked on them lately. And if their food bowl is empty, there is a ruckus.

The Runners don't like Mr. Bean that much, so they are side by side with the Buff trio, with a divider fence. Well, every now and then, somebody will start poking somebody through the fence, and they'll complain at each other - not loud quacking, more like trading insults. sheeesh. I hear it because my "barn" is the walkout basement.

I love this arrangement, because the ducks are pretty safe from predators, and without adding a heat source/fire risk, they are no colder than about 40, 45F at any time, and no warmer than about 75F in the worst heat of summer. I can hear them, so if there's an issue I know it. I don't have to shovel snow to get to them. I keep the pen pretty darn clean, and they are just such a wonderful group of little beings. Very fun to have around. They laugh at my jokes.

6. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    so about like a hen chicken cackling when she lays an egg?
    i have roos and hens atm and my neighbors are pretty close but no one really cares so if ducks arent that loud then they shouldnt care. how many eggs do ducks normally lay?

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Another neighbor has 2 Roos and I'm ready to strangle them! My girls are not nearly that loud. I rarely hear his hens though. I think they are louder than chickens (I don't have any just by what I hear from next door) but a roo crowing has them beat hands down. They aren't always loud just can be at moments, although my dogs can get loud as well at times.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    okay good. and if anyone complains ill bribe them with eggs xD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by