New to ducks and I just LOVE them!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mama24, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Just had to say that! LOL.

I got 3 Anconas last month (2 black drakes it looks so far, and my only duck in the bunch is lavender), 4 Pekins (2 are crested) last week. My hatchery order of 4 assorted runners that I put in months ago with a chick order came today (got 2 black, 2 chocolate according to the slip and that's what they look like) and then I went to the feed store today and picked up 6 more. Most are blue Swedish, but I got 2 that I am not sure what they are. 1 is black and yellow, and the other may just be another Swedish. I'm pretty sure I got both blacks and blues of the Swedish. They were all mixed up and were marked Mallard, Pekin, and blue Swedish. I should have gotten some splash, I thought that might be what they were, but I wasn't sure and thought they might be Pekins that had some gray on their heads for some odd reason. After looking up pics when I got home, I regretted not getting one. Oh well. :) They are adorable! Everyone LOVES the ducks. They are even more fun than chickens to watch, which I didn't think was possible. lol

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Aren't they something else?!?

3. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Pleasee post pics?!?! I'm looking into some different breeds and I'd love to see them when they're young. [​IMG]

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Yeah, I need to post pics. They're super dee duper cute!

5. CooCoo 4 Chicks

CooCoo 4 Chicks New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Would anyone have a recommendation on what is a very friendly duck and is tolerant of the cold/heat?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have Runners and Buffs and they are all sweeties.

The Runners are not so good below freezing outdoors, so we have them in the walkout basement (unheated, but above freezing).

Ducks have a reputation for being fairly hardy, but Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks writes that if the temperature is 70F or above, there needs to be shade for the ducks.

My Runners are black and brown, so they can get too warm in the sun. If it is in the upper 90s I bring them into the basement pen in the middle of the afternoon for cool off, or make sure to refresh their swim water in the mid afternoon so they can cool off in the water.

7. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I have 1 Pekin right now, 3 muscovies, and 6 rouen ducklings, and next week should have my order of 11 pekin ducklings, 2 being jumbo. Not keeping them all of course lol Not exactly ready for that amount of ducks

8. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    [​IMG]
    One of my black Anconas started quacking and adopted my younger Pekins. :) Too cute! They follow her around and she quacks for them to follow her and will protect them from my chickens! So it looks like I have 1 lavender Ancona duck, 1 black, and 1 black drake.

Here are the pics of my little ducks. I have 4 runners in there and I think 5 blue Swedish. :) I also have some chicks and a turkey poult. I had more, but we discovered too late that some chick feed we'd been feeding them had gone moldy (We have had a LOT of rain the last several weeks and it doesn't dry up here in NC like it does other places I've lived.) I lost 2 turkey poults, a duckling, and 3 chicks. :( The last chick died this morning, I really hope we don't lose any more. I'm so so upset about it, but things happen. We pulled the food days ago, and none of the others are acting sick. I have never lost chicks before and before we discovered the moldy food, I was freaking out that the 2 turkeys were acting sick.I was afraid they had some strange disease and were going to infect my whole flock.
    [​IMG]

And my goat had a baby girl yesterday afternoon while we were out. She's too cute! Lots of excitement going on here! My hatchery order should be coming in the mail on Weds. I need to get to the feed store for wood chips before they get here. And a spare heat lamp bulb since one blew out and I had to use the spare. Well, here's a bonus pic of the doeling. :) She's adorable, we just love her!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by