new to ducks and this website. very excited.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by duckmylife, Mar 21, 2018.

1. duckmylife

duckmylife In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I actually don't have chickens, but haven't found a "backyard ducks" site - so I am excited about the duck forum here. I am new to ducks, but should have 4 ducklings arriving tomorrow.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? And (3) What breeds do you have?

I have 2 cayuga ducklings and 2 black and white magpie ducklings arriving tomorrow. The cayugas are for me and the magpies are for my husband. They are ordered from our local feed store - and they have several other breeds coming in (that we didn't reserve), but I'm not 100% convinced that we will be able to leave without 2 addition ducklings (fawn and white runners).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was looking for people to talk to about ducks - and this was the most welcoming, helpful information I found. I'm really excited about becoming a member.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm involved in a lot of disability rights / access stuff. I do a lot of animal rescue work (mostly cats). And I swim a lot (which may be why I am a duck person instead of a chicken person!)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have two kids (3.5 and 1.5), two dogs (a 2 year old lab and a 10 year old mastiff mix), and one cranky cat. We recently moved to a tiny farm (2 stall barn, 3.3 acres). Ducks are the first livestock we have, but hopefully if our duck adventure goes well we will add other animals to our family :)

Hopefully I can add some duckling photos tomorrow or Friday!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! What I know about ducks could be written on the back of a matchbox but there are plenty of friendly and knowledgable folks on the duck forum. I hope you love the site as much as we do!

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome Wagon.gif
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Check out the duck forum

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens (and ducks,geese,quail, quineas, emus, etc.) The folks on the duck forum will be glad to help you out

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
  7. duckmylife

duckmylife In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    Thanks! I've already gotten a lot of really useful information browsing the duck forums. I can't wait to be more involved. We are in the middle of a pretty big storm here. The feed store that is supposed to have my ducklings tomorrow is closed today (as are both my kids schools and just about everything else). I've heard that FedEx has cancelled a lot of shipments so I'm really hoping my ducklings are in tomorrow, but I'm not sure it is going to happen.

8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :barnieThis thread has got this song stuck in my head...

KikisGirls, 007Sean, ronott1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    ducky765.gif
    sSig_welcome4.gif

10. ChickenCowboy02

ChickenCowboy02 Predator Slayer

Welcome to BYC, best site this side of the information super-highway! :welcome Glad to have you here! :jumpy
    I too have ducks and they're loads of fun! :lau
    Best wishes,
    ~Garrett

KikisGirls and ronott1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: