New to ducks and want pictures...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Katie_P, May 22, 2010.

1. Katie_P

Katie_P New Egg

May 22, 2010
    i need to know everything and anything about ducks. i plan on getting some really soon and want to know about the best friendliest and quietest breed. also nothing large. i will have limited space due to living in town. loads of pictures on you housing. also i want multiple breeds and again anything i might ever need to know about them. thanks so much! also i really want a few different breeds that would get along. can i get a pair of like 2 different kinds and expect that they would pair off with their breed? or would i end up with mixed ducklings? please habitat pictures and cute smaller quieter breeds. Mini or Bantam ducks, how hard are they to get? what are some qualities about them?

ok so i am considering muscovies because of their friendly behavior and no noise. But i am kinda turned off by the red skin on thier faces. i love the look of one that has smooth red skin but the ones with the bubbles and folds kinda creep me out. is there a reason for the bubbles or a way to prevent them?
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    Ditto on the wanting to know anything/everything... I don't live in town but have a friend who is giving away ducklings.

Sitting waiting...for info from the duck people.

PS I already have chickens...are ducks similar in needs?

Don't mean to hijack your thread...just also curious... Thankx! [​IMG]
  3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

(in my opinion) Muscovies are the friendliest & quietest breed, But they are bigger ducks so that would prbably rule them out for you.

I know if i had to move into the city i wouldnt have any problems keeping them in a back yard pen/coop. They also don't like water as much as mallard-derived breeds.
  4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Quote:Ducks need more water & are quite a bit messier than chickens. I do keep my Muscovies in with my bantam cochins though & they are all perfectly happy and i have never had any fighting problems.
  5. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Here is a start:

The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread by Boggy Bottom Bantams

Here is my own thread that i started when i first got here that has a few questions/answers similar to yours.
    Also, if you have not decided on a coop/run for the ducks, you can check my thread out or do a search for Coops. I'd recommend doing a search in the Duck forum. The Coop/Run Section of the forum primarily covers chickens and they differ from Ducks.

I'd also recommend trying to read as many threads down the list as you can. I have been doing that ever since i got here, about 2 months ago and it is helping a lot.

Duck plants (what they like and don't like)

Also, Storey's Guide to Raising ducks has some good general information, but it is geared more for domestic ducks. It's at the major bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Noble.

The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements... by Nettie

Horse Pellets (Straw is good too, preferrable over Hay)

I have a Text file that i saved links to some threads about specific topics I was researching.

In any case, the Migratory thread I listed at top should be a gold mine. Boggy plans to be pouring all sorts of knowledge in there. I am currently awaiting the next chapter. [​IMG]

If you are looking for small ducks, you might look into Teals, like Ringed or Hottentots.

I am hoping to get a pair of Hottentots because they are some of the smallest ducks out there. Hopefully the quietest, too! [​IMG]

Did you have a breeder picked out already?
    Last edited: May 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by