New to ducks, bath time!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jtbrown, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Oh my gosh, we have had chickens for a year. But never have I seen anything so cute as our four Pekin babies, hatched 4/3/12 as they play in the bathtub tonight! They could stand but chose to scoot everywhere for the 5 or so minutes we had them in there. The noises they make in the water, the rolling in water, it was an absolute joy to watch. The four of us stood watching them giggling the entire time. I then scooped them up and dried them off and put them back into a warm, clean brooder.

I am hooked! :)

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its just as cute seeing them as adults!!! I brought this girl inside tonight for a special Easter treat. I threw in a handful of peas and she had a wonderful time. Enjoy your babies...they grow up way too fast.

[​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, you are both so right!!!

Here I sit, it's in the 30s F out here, sitting on a stone (brrr) surrounded by Runners and Buffs, listening to their cooing, chanting, splashing, rustling . . . hard to believe these ducks have brought me carpentry skills, medical skills, a new outlook, and immeasurable joy.

Glad you're enjoying your babies, jtbrown, and glad to see your post, duckyfromoz. Think of you every day!

1 person likes this.
  4. Dottyaboutducks

Dottyaboutducks New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Essex UK
    Ahh I am sooo pleased I am not the only one to put ducks in the bath - BTW this is my first time on this forum so hello all [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Oh, you are not only having fun, you are helping your ducks be much healthier than they might otherwise be!!

There is research that early swimming helps stimulate the preen gland and preening behavior, and it helps prevent serious eye, sinus and ear infections.

Good on you!

1 person likes this.
  6. Dottyaboutducks

Dottyaboutducks New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Essex UK
    Ooh that was a tough one took my off the ball for two mins to post here and my breech hatched duckling has just curled up and given up on me [​IMG] I was so hopeful too as he was making loads of noise and movement just 10 mins ago - oh well I guess he wouldn't have been strong so prob not mean't to be [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, no.

[​IMG]

Tough, indeed.

8. Dottyaboutducks

Dottyaboutducks New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Essex UK
    Hi Amiga thank you for your reply I see you are another fan of adorable Indian Runners - they are the most comical sweet ducks i have ever kept [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Aren't they, though?

Looks like we have similar gardening habits, too!

Is it predawn where you are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by