New to ducks. Believe to have Khaki Campbells

bradselig

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Warren, IN
Well after much debate I decided to get a "few" chickens for the homestead for their eggs. After getting some chicks, and more chicks, I decided to add a pair of ducks to the flock as well. These guys are roughly 10 weeks old now. I believe I have a male/female pair so I decided to purchase some sexed female ducklings to add to the flock to get more a a 1:3 (male:female) ratio. Can anyone verify if I have a pair? I have been reading for quite a few days now on how to sex. I know the obvious with head color, curled tail feather and the calls. But the color difference has me intrigued. I have always thought that the duck with the outlined feathers was a female and the more solid color was male, but really I have no idea. These are hatchery ducks purchased from local farm store who gets their birds from Estes Hatchery.

The only way I could tell them apart when little was by personalities. The now "laced" feathered duck would always bite you when you touched "her" beak, thus resulting in the name of Chompers. The other was much more laid back and is named Murray. Here are some pictures of them playing in their pool today! Sorry for the poor quality, pictures were taken with a cell phone.

Murray in the back, Chompers in the front

Here are some of their "baby" pictures

Better picture of Chompers (taken about a week or so ago)

Better picture of Murray (taken about a week or so ago)

They look like teenage khaki campbells
smile.png
. I'm pretty sure one is male and the other female. I haven't had khaki campbells in a loooong time.

Thanks! I am really enjoying them (even if they are so messy!). I love watching them play in their pool. They love to swim underwater, then torpedo out of the pool to start running around flapping their wings. Such comical little guys!

Yes, they are goofballs
smile.png
I love when they get so excited and get beside themselves when they dive under water.

Back
Top Bottom