New to ducks- building fence + keeping area clean?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by booksandducks, May 18, 2016.

1. booksandducks

booksandducks New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Hi, so I'm new to keeping ducks. I've got four ducks right now, I've had them for a bit over a month and they are currently living in a coop-type thing that my grandfather & I built. (It's around 9 feet long and maybe 3ish feet wide, completely covered in chicken wire on all sides + with a enclosed box for sleeping + shelter). As they were still pretty little and I live in Minnesota, I at first kept them in the house, and moved them to the coop thing in the garage (it was still reaching temperatures as low as 30 degrees a week and a half ago). Now I think they have a lot of their feathers in and am going to move them outside.

I live in a suburban type development, but in the countryside. I have a weird backyard, but there is a flat grassy part that I am going to keep them in. I was going to buy a plastic kiddy pool from target for them to splash around in as well, and move the coop to the grassy area. However, as there are 4 ducks and they have definitely outgrown the coop, I wanted to build an area for them to roam around supervised during the day/evening (we have lots of hawks, foxes, etc that would love a snack so I wouldn't ever let them out unsupervised).

I have some letfover chicken wire that I was going to staple to wooden posts and use that as a fence. Do you think that would be adequate?

Also.... they're super messy and I was wondering how I'd go about cleaning up the poop from the grass. Right now in the coop I just have everything covered in straw so it's not an issue (more of a space thing really, the coop is not big enough for 4 ducks to spend all day in), but I don't know what to do now... Could I just hose it into the mulch where we have some flowers and bushes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by