1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to ducks - can you help identify? **Lots of newbie questions too**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dobela, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Dobela

Dobela Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    About 2 weeks ago my parents 'helped' my kids buy these 2 ducks. The sign on the bin just said "Ducks" LOL. They were bought at Atwoods. We were told both are female. Does it look that way to you??

In another thread someone said the one with the 'duckfro' would be crested but because I didn't have a clear enough picture of the bill and feet that was as far we we made it.

I do not know their ages. Or how to tell.

No matter what I do, they are very timid.

When should I stop feeding them game grower feed? I was not expecting ducks so I am really nearly walking in the dark as far as care of them right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They look like welsh harlequins. If that is the case they are females. I hope you like eggs [​IMG]

As for the game feed, that is what I feed my ducks all the time. I also have quail so both ducks and quail get the same feed. Supplement your ducks feed with greens. Mine like celery tops, peas, lettuce, clover, etc...

3. Dobela

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks. Here is a picture of the tail feathers this morning as well.
    [​IMG]

Is there any way to make them less timid?

Eggs? I have not thought that far? I take it they are prolific layers? Do they need nesting boxes? how do I set up for them? I was planning on keeping them with my 35+/- chickens that we are raising right now. The coop is 12x12 and the run will be over 500 sqft.

Thanks so much!

4. Dobela

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    Do they need anything like grit or calcium shells?

Any idea how old they are?

Thanks for all the help.

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are about 2-3 weeks. Yes, they will need calcium. I use oyster shells and give the girls a big bowl to pick at as they need it.

As for grit, if they have range area they will grab what they need.

As for prolific, yup. They are right up there with Runners and Khaki Campbells on egg production. As for a nest box, I have a large dog igloo that they sleep in and set up a separate smaller dog house that has a bunch of fresh straw in it and a few fake eggs. The girls all share that one spot. Well, they did until one of them went broody and took it over [​IMG]

To make them less timid, resort to bribery. Thaw out some frozen peas and offer those. Once they associate you with treats their attitude will improve !

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    they are pretty, the oyster shells for calcium will be later when they start laying eggs, just to clarify.

7. Dobela

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Good, I have an old doghouse we can convert for them and just put it in the run with everyone else. Hopefully they will all get along. Are they too young to give the peas to?

They will have access to the calcium with the chickens so I hope they will share [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can give them the thawed out frozen peas now. I introduce greens at a young age (2-4 days) to prevent them from being picky eaters. They may play with them more than eating them at first but they figure it out quickly enough [​IMG]

9. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    They are cute [​IMG]. I never had much luck getting mine to like peas but they go bananas for frozen corn or cracked corn. I just get a handful of cracked corn and sit by them and sprinkle a bit on the grown and once they taste it they will try it out your hand. Once they come and eat out your hand I shut my hand around their bill some so it's harder to get the corn, it also makes it easy to pretend you have food later if you need to catch one and don't have food on you. I found mine went through an unsociable stage in the teenage weeks but with some patience and corn they follow me like ducks now lol.

10. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    One is definitley crested, but several breeds can show up crested, pekins, runners, bali, cayuga (black), etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by