New to ducks, couple of questions: *PIC*

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
We are absolutely in love with these babies!

30142_1101_babies1.jpg

Couple of questions:

- how long until we can let them swim in sink or tub?!?!?

- soft bunny bedding or wood shavings?

- favorite treats?!?!?!

Thanx in advance!!

Pellet bedding works better for ducks, it absorbs a lot more moisture. They can swim in the sink or tub about 1-2 weeks, but you don't want to leave them in there for too long. Just make sure you watch them, and that the water is shallow enough that they can stand up in it. When they get tired they'll sit/lay down. Cute babies, are they muscovies?

I let mine swim at a couple of days old. Short supervised swims and you towel them off and put them right back in the brooder. No problem!

I was gonna say...I let mine swim at about 4 days or so in the sink...just make sure its warm water and shallow. Then towel dry and under the heat lamp.

We let ours swim at a few days old too, just make sure they get back in the warm to dry off.
They really like lettuce scattered around in the water.

Whoops! I mean little bits of lettuce.
And bedding wise, we actually like hay or straw, but have used wood chips in the past. The problem is that they make a mess with the water. It's good if there's an area where you can set that which has no bedding. Like put the waterer on a wire mesh over a catch basin (some sort of shallow large dish) so they have to walk over the mesh to get to the water.

if you click the link in my signature, there is a huge list of treats. There is a jumping baby chick in an egg smiley after the treats you can give your babies, depending on their age...

Back
Top Bottom