New to ducks, got a few questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Barnyard, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have ducks in my incubator that are on day 17 and some on day 5. I have a few questions:

1. On what day do you candle duck eggs?
    2. What day do you take them out of the turner?
    3. What do you feed them if you can not find un-medicated chick starter?
    4. How old do they need to be before letting them swim?

I have candled the eggs that are on day 17 and they are growing. I have also candled the eggs that are on day 5 and I see nothing. How long does it take to be able to see veining?

Advice alway's welcome!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I saw veins in my duck eggs around day 7. I think I took them out of the turner on day 25. (with the chicken eggs on day 18. I set them together but 1 week apart, so they'd hatch around the same day.) When I hatched them (last year,) I let them swim at around a week old outside if it was sunny, then dried them off so they didn't chill. I put them back in their brooder box too- it wasn't warm enough to keep them outside yet and they weren't feathered yet. I think I fed mine unmedicated flightbird starter.( I'm wondering now if I can use the same medicated feed for all of my new babies- chicks, ducklings, and goslings.)
    Good Luck! Keep us posted!
    Lisa

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thankyou Lisa [​IMG]

I sure hope these babies will grow. I was told not to use medicated chick starter for ducks. I have no idea why though. I intend to keep them inside. It is still alittle cool here for them to go out.

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I think they aren't supposed to have some medicated feeds is because they tend to gorge on the feed more so than chicks, so they may OD on the medication in it. I'm just not sure if that's any and all meds or certain ones. I've got amprolium in the starter feed here and wonder if that'll hurt them.
    Also, I hatched the ones I've got last May I think, so it was a lot warmer then than now.
    Lisa

5. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    mine are on day 5 and i can see a little vaining in 5 out of 6. give them a few more days though. i would candle again around day 10:p

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

1. On what day do you candle duck eggs? I candle them on day 7 and then I candle them the day I move them to the hatcher. I think that the less candling the better.

2. What day do you take them out of the turner? 3 days before they hatch. For call ducks day 23

3. What do you feed them if you can not find un-medicated chick starter? Feed them purina start and grow, ask for UN-medicated
    4. How old do they need to be before letting them swim? You can let them have a very shallow dish of water around a week or two. Dont let them fully swim/dive under water until they are at least 40-50% featherd.

7. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have duck eggs on day 22 woohoo!! I hope they all make it to the hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by