New to ducks... have a few quwstions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leah_c, Mar 24, 2011.

1. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So, this is my second year with chickens. Just picked up 14 new babies this past Saturday. My daughter was determined to get ducks. So TS FINALLY got theirs in today and I picked up two Rouen(sp?) ducklings that are suppose to be day old ducklings. Right now I have them in with the baby chick, that are about a week old. They are seperated though. Do ducklings need anything added to their water like new chicks do? When should I put water in for them to splash in? At what age is it okay for them to go outside? Can I let the ducklings and the chicks be together? They were for a few hours this afternoon and when DH came home he said that one of the ducklings was picking at the feathers of one of the chicks. New to ducks so ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    i am also new to ducks and this is what I have found out so far. Ducks are messy, I seperated them from my chicks after 1 day. They were pcking at their feet too. They will get the water dirty and they go through a small tub in 4 hrs. We gave them their first bath at 9 days old but Someone told me they gave theirs at 4 days. They grow up fast. Mine looooooooooooooooove spinach. but just a little bit I give them now. They jump out of the water to reach it.
    Here is my setup so far [​IMG]
    its a lg tub, their food and water are in a lg plant saucer. they are on papertowles with the heat lam above them.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Same here Dingleberry. I have stared putting that pellet type bedding under a thick layer of dry shavings and it is helping. I also put a half gallon jar on the water base. That is helping and I let them have a little bath time wednesday. It was 82 degrees.

4. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Quote:LOL love your set up, I just had to giggle though those ducklings have a look on their faces like, hey we didn't do it!!! LOL

5. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with questions then. Lol!! Well, like I said DH seperated them and I checked on them throughout the night and SOMEHOW two of my chicks, one barred rock and one buff orpington got through and were snuggling with the baby ducklings. It was sooo cute. I took the divider out and they seem to be doing okay together. I've also seen that you can give them treats like chickens. What types of treats and how soon can the treats be given to them. Also have seen that duckling can be taken outside a lot sooner than baby chicks. Do you guys have your out yet? I live in Wisconsin and right now it's just 30 degrees. Thanks again for the input!!!

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    We are having temps of about 61 day time but I am still not sure they are ready to go. They are growing very fast so I am sure it wont ba long. I dont have them with the chicks because I am feeding med. starter, but I do let them have play time when I clean. The only problem is the chicks want to grab the ducks feet.

7. foxygoober

foxygoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Greenville
    They are messy!! We have ours in with the meat chicks for now. Poor chicks are covered in strewn food :p Hopefully we'll be able to put them in the coop next week. So far they aren't pecking at eachother. Hopefully they'll be happy until they are old enough to free range. . .

8. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I took my two out the other day @59 degrees. they lasted about 10 minutes before snuggling in my warm arms but enjoying the outside. I gve them a slug today. it was sooooooooooooooooo funny. I wish I can post videos. they enjoy some spinach at bath times.

9. #1animallover

#1animallover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    baby ducks can have a shallow pan of water about an inch or 2 deep when u first get them. i would put ceader shavings as their bedding it works best 4 me.they can go in with the chicks.when they grow out of the pan i would get a pen and a small kiddy pool out side for them untill they were full grown.during the day while they are little i would put them down on the ground and watch them for about 10 or so mins if they are gonna be yard ducks.

10. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I myself is new to the whole duckling and chick thing. I work at a farm store where they sell them and I have an orphan duckling that the person who purchased them, decided this 1 wasn't good enough.

Just reading some of the posts has anwsered some of the questions I have. 1 that I do have is, at what age can I breath a little easier that he is going to live? I was 2 days old when I got him and I have had him for 4 days now. He seems to be doing very well....eats, drinks, poops and "yells" (LOL) I still worry.

He (actually not sure if its a male or female) is a white pekin. I did put a stuffed duck in with him, which he does snuggle with as well as runs to when he get scared. He's very adorable.

I have a small bowl for him to drink from and he swims in it once in awhile.

Another question I have is, I have him in our bathroom, which does not have good ventilation. I unplug the heat lamp and remove him whenever we take a shower because I dont know if the humdity will hurt him. That is my question, will the humdity be harmful?

Sorry for going on and on. I just want to make sure the little guy/girl makes it.

I went from fosting dogs, to fosting rejected ducklings..........just a sucker for animals...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by