New to ducks - I have many questions

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
Today, I was asked by a friend to come check out their flocks. When I got there I found they were extremely overcrowded with ducks, turkeys and chickens. The duck a rescue today is a mallard that was being housed with approximately 10 Rohans. I know absolutely nothing about ducks but I did some quick research. I am almost 100% sure that the Mallard I got is a female. Picture to follow. I have over 60 chickens that this little one will be joining. The conditions that the Mallard was in I have to say it was deplorable! They were literally walking in ankle deep water and mock. Before I got there they didn’t even have a swimming pool. The poor little Mallard was literally up to her belly in mud and feces with these big old white Rohans. I was told that she was being picked on by the big ducks and they asked me if I wanted her needless to say I jumped at the chance. I didn’t see any feeding area only a watering trough. With the conditions that she was in I’m concerned about transmitting any type of diseases or anything like that to my flock. So I do have her segregated from my chickens in a 8’ x 25’ run and placed a dog kennel with a short basket filled with hay for her to sleep.

I wish I would’ve taken pictures of the condition she was living in so you have an idea of what I’m talking off. It was so sad. I’m helping the folks fix the problem but I couldn’t leave the little gal there being tramped.
20ADE5AA-C421-4BB8-9927-BD60E1C5CCF4.jpeg
EBAD58D3-CDA9-4166-9D22-0373C51A9910.jpeg
9AEFBB94-6931-46A0-807F-E1F4FA25A5D7.jpeg

So here’s my list of questions:

1) How long should I keep her segregated to make sure that she is not diseased by the conditions that she was in?

2) Is there any specific thing that I should look for or watch out for during the segregation period?

3) If all goes well, and she turns out to be a nice healthy little girl, what is the best way to Integrate her to my flock? I’m lucky enough to live on 4 1/2 acres that has a very large pond on it for her to play in. Also I did check her out and they have clipped her wings.

4) The set up that I have in the picture below is that in good enough set up for her during the segregation time?

5) my chickens eat the “all flock“ feed from our local mill and I know it’s OK for the duck to eat but is there anything else that I should be feeding her or treats that I could give her to help her settle in a little easier?

6) is there anything special that I need to do for the winter time when it hits for her? I know that one sounds like a dumb question but I have to ask since I’m so new to this. I’m figuring that I basically treat her like I do my chickens. Am I correct in this.

7) Lastly, am I correct that this is a female and any guess at her age? Obviously I do not want a Drake in my flock. .

A month is long enough. Check her feet for bumble. Clean bathing water daily. Keep an eye on her feather condition when she molts. That's a good indicator of parisite load. That pen looks good. Oyster shell on the side for calcium. I think its a hen. Integrate with look but can't touch fencing. You might think about another duck as they are social creatures and dont speak chicken.

A month is long enough. Check her feet for bumble. Clean bathing water daily. Keep an eye on her feather condition when she molts. That's a good indicator of parisite load. That pen looks good. Oyster shell on the side for calcium. I think its a hen. Integrate with look but can't touch fencing. You might think about another duck as they are social creatures and dont speak chicken.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry to get back to you sooner but I’ve been dealing with a all-around rescue from the home that I got Daphne. She is in a quarantine coop with 11 other chickens that I rescued from the same place that I’m doing the rescue on. It’s been a long process, I only have a couple days left before the folks are where they need to be. Good news is I was able to find a new home for the 7 Pekin ducks that were at this mini ranch.

Since putting Daphne in with the hens that I rescued from this place. She does seem to be much happier. But I am definitely looking for another female mallard so she has her own time to chat with. I would like to get a drink for her but I’m also afraid of combining the chickens and ducks because of the horror stories I’ve heard. Any ideas as to where and what other type of duck that she would be compatible with? I do belong to the Wisconsin Livestock buy, trade and sale Facebook site. I’m hoping I’ll find something there but no luck so far. I know Daphne was born sometime in April so she’s only 4 months old. The reason I know this is because she was rescued along with a turkey a lady got for her kids for Easter. The gal I rescued Daphne from had good intentions but got in way over her head.

Also I have been keeping an eye on Daphne for bumblefoot And any other possible diseases that may have come from this mini ranch. So far so good everybody’s been healthy. I’m gonna keep them in quarantine for an extra week or two just to make sure. The conditions at the Mini Ranch We’re very bad. So I just wanna be safer than sorry.

I’ve been changing her drinking and pool water twice a day. Is this to much?

All domestic ducks except moscovy are mallard based and get along. The only thing to wory about is heavy breed ducks breeding your mallard hen. If you dont get a drake you wont have an issue. I'm not sure its possible to change their water to much.

Back
Top Bottom