New to ducks please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Festusduckfarm, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Festusduckfarm

Festusduckfarm New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Hello I have a duckling with a broken leg. No bone showing but is limping and barely using the leg. The break is right at the hip and feels minor. Currently the duckling is in a separate cage from the flock with 1 other duckling to keep company. Is there anything I can do to help heal the break besides what I am currently doing? I don't think there is a way to splint it as it is so close to the hip. The ducklings have food and water in the separate cage.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If it is broken ? The poor Duckling should be culled...That high up in the leg is not worth fixing....Sorry...Best honest answer I can give you. The bird is in pain and suffering...

3. Sammytje

Sammytje Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    You can try taping the leg up against the body and hold it there for a week or two. If its still broken it will have a hard life and trouble getting out of the water, brushing its feathers it will fall because it can't hold itself up. Maybe see a vet that can tape it? Otherwise maybe put it down but thats up to you. Good luck.

4. Festusduckfarm

Festusduckfarm New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Update:put the duckling back with he other ducks and you can't even tell which one has the broken leg anymore. They all are behaving perfectly normal

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Great news...Congrats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by