1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to ducks, please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladykalee, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ladykalee

ladykalee Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    I read somewhere that ducks have to have water if there is food around. The problem is that they drink their water up so fast! I take their food out when I am not there since they drink the water so fast, I'm afraid to leave the food for them. Now I am afraid that I am starving them. What is the correct thing to do? Please give me some advice.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Ducks need deep big bowls of water to have during the day and feed..Without water they choke on feed....

Are these Ducks or Ducklings?

Where do they live?

3. ladykalee

ladykalee Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    They are in a bin right now under a heat lamp. One is 4 weeks old and the other two are 2 weeks old. I am not sure what how much to feed them because I am so scared that they will choke. I am currently giving them with a waterer for chicks.

4. chickens really

Stop that...Sorry but Ducks need to wash their heads and get their nares/ nostrils wet all the time...Deep water...Ice cream pail or stock bowls....Water at all times and feed till around 8 weeks then they can sleep the night without both but need it as soon as the sun rises........

1 person likes this.
  5. matt richmond

matt richmond Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    This is what we use last for up to a week with four ducks[​IMG]

6. chcknwhisperer

chcknwhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    I am battling this right now myself. The lady that was supposed to know about these ducks won't call me back. I am guessing my ducklings are 4 weeks old with some feathers. They seem to hide from the lamp when given the chance, but they seem to love it when I use the infrared heater.

I have a small deep dish of water I fill often. They are ravenous pigs!!! They will eat 24/7 if I let them. I feed them 5 times a day right now and will go down to 4 next week. I space out the meals too.

7. matt richmond

matt richmond Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    Of course u have to let them dip there bills in something deep enough to clean there bills and eyes

1 person likes this.
  8. ladykalee

ladykalee Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Ok, will do. They won't drown? I keep getting cross information. Thank you!

9. chickens really

Drown?....Heck NO.....They should be swimming at this age..;)...The Mother takes them swimming at two days old.....:)

10. ladykalee

ladykalee Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by