New to Ducks - Saxony in Ohio

Kelfeathers

Chirping
Aug 19, 2015
Marengo, Ohio
I've tried to raise chickens for the last two years with no luck. I decided I want to try ducks this time. I love ducks and my husband is especially fond of them while he didn't like the chickens so win/win. I was looking at maybe ordering an adult pair of Saxony ducks from Holderread. If not adults than maybe ducklings, but I'll have to wait until after we move for any ducklings. I was looking around my area and no one had any ducks that really caught my eye. I'm sure there will be more around Easter (
hmm.png
), but it seems the go to breeds for my area are all breeds I commonly see during Chick Days at TSC.

My other major interest is Runners, but I melted when I saw the Saxony pictures.

If I can still order an adult pair of Saxony ducks is that a good idea temperament-wise? I've had issues when buying adult animals before where they end up being very skittish and/or mean. Any other problems with ordering adult birds? I've never actually had birds shipped to me. I've always picked them up from the hatchery/breeder so this will be a new experience.

We also had a bad run with chickens and started fresh with ducklings.
I have no experience with ordering adult ducks. But i would raise them from ducklings if you want them to be tame and come to you:)
I seen metzer farms hatchery has saxony ducklings available:) i almost ordered some but ordered all runner ducklings instead.
I picked runners because of their lighter weight and that i could order all 4 colors so i can tell everyone apart

Last edited:
I found a lady just shy of an hour from me that will have some Saxony ducklings soon. I'm going to get info from her, but I'll check out Metzer Farm too. Everyone who used to sell Runners near us sold off their flocks so it would be a way to get some if I don't buy local.

Edit to add: The local lady will have ducklings April 10th with multiple breeds available so I made plans with her. The only ducks on my want list she doesn't have are runners.

Last edited:
She didn't list Golden Cascade, but she has Rouen, Khaki, Welsh, Swedish, Saxony, Pekin and Rouen mixes she said were good for eggs. She lives in Raymond.

I found her on Facebook. I never actually tried looking for a website. Her name is Kylie Marie. She had a CL post a few days ago, but she already pulled it.

Back
Top Bottom