New to Ducks - should I get khaki Campbell's or Indian Runners

I used old towels for bedding. First, I had them. Second, my ducklings ate shavings. Third, the first bale of shavings I bought was in a plastic bag and so all those aromatic oils assailed my sinuses and that was that.

I used old towels for bedding.  First, I had them.  Second, my ducklings ate shavings.  Third, the first bale of shavings I bought was in a plastic bag and so all those aromatic oils assailed my sinuses and that was that.

I hear ya on the shavings effecting your sinus! I have had the same experience.
How often did you have to change out the towels? How long did you keep them in your home before moving them outside?

Three times a day, three months
lol.png
Long story.

Not that bad. Take towels out, shake over garden, pop into washing machine, put next set of towels in brooder. My eleven ducklings arrived quite a bit before schedule, and spring was late arriving.
I had a blast. Changed my life forever. DH probably thought I had lost my mind.
gig.gif

I used old towels for bedding. First, I had them. Second, my ducklings ate shavings. Third, the first bale of shavings I bought was in a plastic bag and so all those aromatic oils assailed my sinuses and that was that.
I had a similar experience. My ducklings started eating the shavings at about 2 weeks old. Then I switched to layered puppy pee pads and old towels (put the towel over the pee pads and folded the edges under so the ducklings couldn't get at the pee pads... eventually I had to put rocks around the edges after about a week because they were pulling the towels up). I changed these twice a day, and I am a little ashamed to admit that we just tossed the towels after use (kinda wasteful). They were beyond re-use, totally soaked and pretty stinky.

With my next set of ducklings, I'm going to try one of those nifty, homemade water catchers. I think it also helps to raise up the waterer... that way they don't just plop down and entertain themselves by splashing all the water out!
big_smile.png

They were in our house (which is already close living quarters for two people... now add 4 ducklings!!!) for about 4 weeks. As much as I love them and am happy with the way things turned out, no way could I have kept them inside longer than that!

Three times a day, three months :lol:  Long story.

Not that bad.  Take towels out, shake over garden, pop into washing machine, put next set of towels in brooder.  My eleven ducklings arrived quite a bit before schedule, and spring was late arriving.
I had a blast.  Changed my life forever.  DH probably thought I had lost my mind. :gig  

Wow! Aren't they pretty much full grown by that point? What did you keep them in?
Definitely thinking I'll try towels.

I had a similar experience. My ducklings started eating the shavings at about 2 weeks old. Then I switched to layered puppy pee pads and old towels (put the towel over the pee pads and folded the edges under so the ducklings couldn't get at the pee pads... eventually I had to put rocks around the edges after about a week because they were pulling the towels up). I changed these twice a day, and I am a little ashamed to admit that we just tossed the towels after use (kinda wasteful). They were beyond re-use, totally soaked and pretty stinky.

With my next set of ducklings, I'm going to try one of those nifty, homemade water catchers. I think it also helps to raise up the waterer... that way they don't just plop down and entertain themselves by splashing all the water out! :D

They were in our house (which is already close living quarters for two people... now add 4 ducklings!!!) for about 4 weeks. As much as I love them and am happy with the way things turned out, no way could I have kept them inside longer than that! 

Ooooo what is the homemade water catcher? I hear you on tight living quarters. I'm hoping the weather will warm up enough that they can be kept in our three seasons room for most of their indoor stay.

That'll be nice to add a little distance... you know what they say, it makes the heart grow fonder
wink.png

Ah ha, I found it! Here is the water "saver" (I called it a "catcher" earlier, woops) that I will be testing out in a few weeks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder
Rather than cutting out the entire top, I plan to leave a cross-like shape to add more support in case the ducklings jump up on it.

I have 3 baby Indian runner and one Pekin I was wondering when do I stop feeding them the baby food. There a couple weeks old

I caved !!!! A few days ago we bought 2 KC... today we brought home 2 Indian Runners LOL.. The family was split on what they wanted .. now we are all happy ! The funny thing is with 4 of them in their pen they seem more calm then when their was just 2.

Back
Top Bottom