1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deederduckies, Apr 3, 2017.

1. deederduckies

deederduckies Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Hi. My name is amber. About a week ago I got pekin ducks from tractor supply. They had very little info on them. I am new to ducks and need all the advice I can get.. What advice I need now is about how old they are and if it is ok to shut the heat lamp off at night. They are kept in the house
    It's pretty warm.. They never seem to want to lay under it either. They always huddle to the water bowl on the other side of the box.. I have moved the light up almost 3ft from the tip of the box. Can I start to eliminate it? Please help..[​IMG]

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Hi, they look about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks maybe
    Whats the temp in your house? If they are staying that far away i would turn it off and see how they respond. Observing their behavior is the best way to decide. Pekins are a large breed and grow fast. since they were bred for meat ducks, they bulk up faster than other breeds and tend to stay alot warmer than smaller breeds in my experience. When i had pekins last year they didnt need a heat lamp after the first week. Our house is pretty warm tho.

3. deederduckies

Apr 3, 2017
    Its about 72° to 75° at all times.. Its pretty warm

Took them outside today for their first outside experience. It was about 70° today. They did fine and ran around the yard. Thanks for your help!!

4. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Oh then yes i imagine they are probably pretty comfortable with those temps, plus they put off alot of heat so they keep each other quite warm:) and they look pretty darn cute [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. deederduckies

Apr 3, 2017
    Ya they are! We love em!! [​IMG]
    Daisy is the light beak one. She's my Buddie.. Idk if she's a girl but she acts like it!! Lol
    [​IMG]
    My puppy acts like mother duck!!

6. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Aww how sweet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by