New to ducks

WhiteOwl

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
Hello, I am very new to raising ducks and I jumped in with both feet. I have read/lurked through most of the forum and have read various information online.
I got my first batch of 5 Blue Swedish ducks last Tuesday (they are about 10 days old) and received my second shipment of Cayugas and Welsh Harlequin yesterday (4 days old). Would it be ok to have them all together? The Blue Swedish ducks are really large (I know they are a bigger duck). Or should I wait a couple of weeks before I do so?
Thanks

Hello, I am very new to raising ducks and I jumped in with both feet. I have read/lurked through most of the forum and have read various information online.
I got my first batch of 5 Blue Swedish ducks last Tuesday (they are about 10 days old) and received my second shipment of Cayugas and Welsh Harlequin yesterday (4 days old). Would it be ok to have them all together? The Blue Swedish ducks are really large (I know they are a bigger duck). Or should I wait a couple of weeks before I do so?
Thanks
WELCOME TO BYC!!!!

tons of info on here and lots of friendly people too!

welcome-byc.gif

I would put them together but just keep a close eye on them

Good Luck!!

We had 6 abandoned duck eggs at school so I brought them home and incubated them. All hatched fine and stayed with my chickens until one by one they flew away. Except for the one that hatched later than the others. He can't fly and has fallen in love with one of my Legbars and won't leave her side.
The big problem is, he won't swim in the pond either and because he walks everywhere, his feet have become very dry and covered in hard calluses. It's now affecting his walking and he mostly sits, wherever the Legbar is and avoids walking.
What can I do to mend his poor feet?
Any advice would be very much appreciated, both by Donald and me!

We had 6 abandoned duck eggs at school so I brought them home and incubated them. All hatched fine and stayed with my chickens until one by one they flew away. Except for the one that hatched later than the others. He can't fly and has fallen in love with one of my Legbars and won't leave her side.
The big problem is, he won't swim in the pond either and because he walks everywhere, his feet have become very dry and covered in hard calluses. It's now affecting his walking and he mostly sits, wherever the Legbar is and avoids walking.
What can I do to mend his poor feet?
Any advice would be very much appreciated, both by Donald and me!
are you sure he's a he?
can you post a picture of the bottom of his feet?

Yes, I'm totally sure he's male. Just taken photos of his feet...

ouch! that looks really painful

make a warm epsom salt bath, try not to let him drink it (its a laxative and we all know ducks dont need to poop more than they do)
soak his feet for like 15 minutes and try to massage/clean them
see if it loosens up the debris stuck to his feet
the epsom salts are very good for drawing out infection, relieving pain and helping to reduce swelling

after that you may want to apply some betadine and neosporin and wrap his feet if he will let you, then crate him on some fresh clean pine shavings

Thank you so much. I'll treat him tomorrow and hopefully that will do the trick.
I'll post photos of his feet when they are looking good!
Very grateful for the info. Thanks x

Back
Top Bottom