New to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oldchickenman, Feb 11, 2009.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    Just got me some ducks 20 mixed form ideal got them last week man can they eat and drink have to fill the feeder 2 times a day and they have doubled in size we got them last thursday day old man they grow fast. Looks like i need to start on the pen soon as fast as these guys are growing.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL...sounds about right.

3. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am new to ducks too. I have 5 Snowys being shipped on March 4th. So they are little piggies?? Oh boy! No wonder they are growing so fast. Maybe I better make a separate brooder just for them....lol

4. oldchickenman

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    we made a seprarate brodder for ours they love it you can here there big feet running all around in the thing lol.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Ducks grow very fast. I have blue swedish and rouens, plus mixes of the two. A lot of them doubled in size from week to week. At approcimatly one month old they were basically adult size.

6. oldchickenman

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    when are they ready to go outside ? temps around here inmarch are around 30 t0 60.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    you should see my three week old pekin! it's almsot as big as my adult runners! he picks on them too.. it's funny watching a full gorwn runner RUN from a baby pekin. lol.

30's a bit too cold until they are fully feathered. After about 8 weeks they should have all their feathers in and can go outside. I'd reccommend locking them up in a coop/barn/dog house at night even when they are full grown. It's keep them warmer and safer from predators.

8. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thats the wonderful thing about ducks, they grow a mile a minute, but they are extremely messy with thier water in a brooder, but since they grow so fast its not long before they are ready to go into the big pen outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by