New to Ducks?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hollymh, Apr 27, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Any tips on raising ducklins? I have eggs in the bator and they will be my first ducks so I'm looking to start them out right lol I have Rouens,Campbells, cayugas, mallards, and harlequins.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Remember that their feed should be non- medicated. And they're so much fun-- but MESSY.
    EDTA Their water must be deep enough to really sink their bills.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    WOW, that should be quite a group. You can learn everything you need right here at BYC. I am amazed everyday what I find out. Mine are just 8 weeks old and I feel like I've had them forever. Good luck! Start reading ;-)

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Wow, what a group of ducks [​IMG]

Ducks are messy(as you will learn soon enough)
    Ducklings require less heat than chicks but ducklings that are cold lose their appetites
    They have to be fed non-medicated feed
    They need water deep enough to out its beak in,but not deep enough to put their whole head in(they can drown)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Don't put newspaper on the bottom of thier brooder. Thier poop will make it slick and unhealthy to live on.
    Watch them when they're swimming because baby fluff isn't water repelant; they will get soaked,cold, and will be in danger of sinking and drowning.
    You can give them greens right from the get go.
    TAKE TONS OF PICS THEY GROW UP FAST!!!! [​IMG]

6. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:What type of greens, like lettuce, alfalfa sprouts things like that?

Can the play in my shower, I don't have tubs, just stand up showers and I wasn't sure if they could get thier heads wet?

I use paper towels for my chickens, will this be good for my ducks as well?

7. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the help everyone, keep it coming [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can let them swim in the sink, or get a tote or tub of some kind and fill it with water. Not full, but just enough that they can stand up, at least till they have their feathers.

Anything that is dark green is good for them. Iceberg lettuce has little to no nutritional value, so that should be avoided. You can use frozen peas and drop them in their water to make them dive for them, they love that! I don't know how prominent dandelions are where you live, but if they are as thick there as they are here you can feed the greens to the ducklings too.

Contrary to popular opinion, ducklings don't have to have deep water for drinking. There are many people on here that use water bottles for them (like you would have for a bunny), and they do just fine.

Non-medicated is best, but they can have medicated if the only meds is Aprolum (sp?) Ask Katy, she knows which meds they can safely have. If you can get non-med feed it would be better.

If you can't find waterfowl starter, you need to get the highest protein chick starter you can find. I use flock raiser, it has 20% protein. They will also need brewer's yeast if you don't have waterfowl feed.

Ducklings need about 90 degrees in the brooder for the first week, then lowered weekly by 5 degrees, supposedly. Mine are now 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 weeks old and haven't had any type of heat light for over a week. The little one hasn't had any heat since we have gotten it, and it's doing just fine. The less heat they can comfortably handle the better, as it will make them feather out better.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any other questions, just let me know! [​IMG]

9. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:What type of greens, like lettuce, alfalfa sprouts things like that?

Can the play in my shower, I don't have tubs, just stand up showers and I wasn't sure if they could get thier heads wet?

I use paper towels for my chickens, will this be good for my ducks as well?

The sprouts, lettuce, etc are all fine.
    I just meant to watch them at bath time because they do get water logged. We use one of those watering trays that you put under plants at first. Once they get too big for that they graduate to a deeper a pan and so on until they are feathered and ready for the kiddy pool.
    I recommend hay/straw/grass clippings for the ground. They like to nibble at it and make an awful mess with thier water. You'd go threw paper towels like crazy. Also i think the grass keeps their smell kinda hidden. [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ducks do need to submerge their bills up to their nostrils. They need to be able to clean out the food, etc. from their nostrils.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by