New to Ducks?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover179, Dec 19, 2010.

1. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Hi,

In February I'm getting my first pair of female Pekin Ducklings from metzer farms. We are getting the "Starter Kit".
    I know about dunking their beaks in water when they arrive, so they get water in them.
    Also, I have purchased a book about ducks, that hasnt arrived yet.

I was wondering if there was anything else I needed to know about them?
    And any duck name ideas??? so far I like "Quackers" and "Waddles".

Any Tips?? [​IMG]

Thanks So much! [​IMG]

(P.S. Sorry for this post being REALLY long! [​IMG] )

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    What book? Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks?

Tips:

Get 3, so if one passes away, the first won't become depressed and lethargic, which tends to happen after they have imprinted on each other (they will).

Get 1 male and 2 females or just 3 females, never have a male heavy group.

Can't think of any other tips...

Have fun with them and don't forget to post pics when you get them! [​IMG]

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:One thing they don't tell you is to keep an eye on the ducks drinking if they have been in the box too long (more than 48 hours) they will be dehydrated and if they drink too much too fast they can become "water drunk" and in some extreame cases it can be fatal. I always watch them to make sure they don't drink too much. if they start to act like they are drunk remove the water for a half hour and then allow them a short drink period. repeat untill they seem normal. BTW if these are your first ducks, playing in there water is normal and doesn't count as drunken behavior! LOL

4. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    If you want any early dates for your ducks you can change them I looked under pekins and theres Dec and early Jans. and Early Febs.Mine are coming Weds. from Metzer's( 3 Male Mallards ducklings ) because the owner Jon wanted it to be a X-MAS present for me so he bumped me up from Jan.27 to Dec. 22. Also he said it would be find to have 3 male ducks as long as they are brought up together as ducklings.

5. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Quote:Im going to name my 3 male Mallard ducklings: Tick,Tack,Toe

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congratulaions on your new babies Remember to post photos for us all to say AAAhhhhhhhhhh

7. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:3 males is fine, but 2 males and a female = disaster waiting to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by