New to ducks

Princessfarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Roy, washington
Just bought 2, 6 day old ducks..... I have them in a brooder with a light and food and a waterer. Is there anything else I need to do for them right now? How different are they from raising chicks? Any pointers would be great! Thanks

they need a bit more room, clean bedding... ducks also need enough water to dunk their head as they get a little older... and they will make a really soggy mess every day so you'll have to change the bedding a lot. Once they get out of the brooder I think ducks are easier than chicks tho! Have fun with them! What kind did you get?

Other than pooping a lot and making a mess of water and food they are not much different than chickens...did I mention how messy they are?
Your brooder sounds sufficent
smile.png

Congrats on your new duckies!
clap.gif

Don't forget the extra niacin--ducklings generally need a higher dose than chicks. And they don't need medication (in fact, it's better to avoid it). Niacin can be added in several ways--I can post the list if you're interested. Also, I wrote a piece for Grit magazine with chicken-owners in mind, regarding the benefits (and differences) in raising ducks. It's online here:

http://www.grit.com/animals/livestock/raising-ducks.aspx

Have fun. Ducks are awesome.
smile.png

I never did give any of my duckling niacin (aside from what is in flock raiser feed). I let them roam the yard and eat the spinich, kale and chard most days. They are doing super

AnaD--the Purina Flock Raiser is one of a VERY few feeds that is balanced for ducklings too, so kudoes!
smile.png

Most other feeds, including those that SAY they are for ducklings, do NOT have the right amount of niacin. Some ducks won't show symptoms while others may. It's always good practice to supplement (unless you have access to a feed like Flock Raiser, which is NOT the same as standard Purina chick starter), but if you're not able to or decide not to, watch for shaky legs--that will be your first sign of deficiency symptoms, and adding niacin will fix it (unless it's one of several other things that can cause shaky legs, obviously).

Hope that helps!
big_smile.png

I just learned about niacin last week.
Never have added it, nor seen any leg issues with any of ours
hu.gif

And we do not feed Purina feed, either.

Of course, DD raises them so she does things her way, and even starts them swimming and such earlier than most recommend.

Ducklings are messy. But really easy to raise & take care of.

Last edited:
Oh no. you got ducklings? Now you are in trouble.
lol.png

The biggest difference I have seen is that they are more addictive than chickens. And just a bit messier. And by a bit think at least 20x more. I have 13 split between two brooders right now. They are about three weeks old and quickly outgrowing the brooders they are in. So that means daily complete brooder clean out and they still manage to get everything soaked withing five minutes of the cleaning. So I am going to have to get them into the basement brooder ASAP.

Good luck and enjoy your babies.

Quote:
the best way to learn is go back and read thru all 109pages of the postings from 109down to page 1. That is what I did. and I learned sooooo much about ducks and geese. I got my first duck(s) 7wks ago. and first goose 11 days ago. It doesn't take that long if you read the treads that are the things you are interested in reading. I read both forums (ducks and geese) now I find myself learning more and more as I continue to read and post the messages. but now I can help other people out with the facts that I have learned about duck/gs. Just a suggestion.
smile.png
Thats what I did.
T.

Back
Top Bottom