New to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ingersolls, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Ingersolls

Ingersolls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Wondering good ways to protect them from Northeast winters?
    I was thinking about getting Indian runners.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    While books and a number of runner duck owners indicate they are quite cold hardy as long as they're out of the elements, My runners don't do well below about 35F, so they spend nights and terribly cold days in our walk-out basement (not the whole thing - they have a pen near the door).

It's not a heated basement - stays about 45F to 50F, and their egg laying improved, their overall health improved, and my sleeping at night improved.

I'm in New England, too.

3. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    I dont think I will have a basement like that but how about a ceramic heater inside a crate in the pen?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not sure I can infer all the details from your description. Mostly I think I'm just too pooped!

What kind of crate do you have in mind? I have a double-walled, insulated plywood box with a plexiglass ceiling and sloped transparent roof. The floor is linoleum that goes up the sides several inches, and I have a foot of shavings topped with a few inches of straw as bedding. There is a sliding door for the ducks and a Dutch door for me.

Take a look at some of the prior topics about duck housing and get a better idea. Any kind of electricity must be done properly or you risk fire. That would be very sad and scary.

Some people have the duck house up against their house, or have a section of a barn or shed set up.

Predator proof is vital. Warm enough, dry enough, clean enough are vital. Last winter we had three feet of snow on the ground for several weeks. Having the ducks where I could get to them was necessary, and so it worked out well for us.

5. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    Ok thank you I will take a look at other posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by