new to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DCrow22, Mar 23, 2013.

1. DCrow22

DCrow22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    I bought my kids some ducks and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what they are? here is a picture my son and the ducks [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help in advance God Bless!

Dana Crow

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Three cutie pies, there!

Could you get a photo of the duckies standing up?

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Most Likely Pekins.

But yes more pictures will help. They may be Runner if you get them to stand up.

4. DCrow22

Mar 16, 2013
    [​IMG] I hope this helps if not let me know I took a couple more pics that might help. Thanks

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The one behind might be a runner, the one in front, hard to say.... could also be a runner.

Something I would do is put an old towel over that cage wire to keep their feet from getting abraded.

Have you noticed how fast they grow?

6. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

the back is a runner the front is not a pekin it has brown on it and the pekins i have been rasing were all yellow and the bill is off color to so im not sure and the front i don't think it is a runner but im not sure

7. DCrow22

Mar 16, 2013
    What do you mean by a runner? Like I said I am new to raising ducks and dont know many breeds of ducks! [​IMG]

8. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

go on google and type in runner ducks there are different kinds but the other one is not a runner for sure now that i look at it .. runner ducks their bodys are more straight up like the one in the back on the second pic

9. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    The one in the back definitely looks like a runner. The one in the front I am not sure. Could be part runner. My dad bought 4 runners when I was a kid. After about a month we could tell that one of them was only part runner. It was heavier and didn't stand up as straight as the others. Nor could it run as fast. It was comical watching it try to run with the others.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are very cute, but I agree with Amiga that wire cage on their feet can cause problems. either an old towel you can wash when soiled, or some pine shaving.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by